PDA

View Full Version : American river exploration float with Andy Guibord

Andy Guibord
03-12-2017, 10:44 PM
I have this Tuesday off; the river is greening up, so I am excited to float the American River to see what mother nature has done to her. I am going to bring my spey rod and swing some of the runs- too long a float to fish them all. If anyone wants to come along, I am asking $ 150 ( help with shuttle and gas ) to join me for a day on the water and do some exploring. Shoot me an email. Thanks. I will write a report later this week.

Sheepdog8404
03-14-2017, 05:27 PM
How'd your trip go, Andy?

hwchubb
03-17-2017, 03:01 PM
Don't know how it was Tuesday, but on Sunday there was still less than 12" visibility. A slim chance, if you hit them on the nose. I didn't. Impressive sculpture work by the river, though. Lots of scouring below the high water mark, will be interesting to see what it looks like once the water clears.

Terry Thomas
03-17-2017, 08:04 PM
Rode the bike trail today up to Folsom. The river looks a lot better today from Sailor to Rossmore. River seemed to color up by William Pond.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-18-2017, 05:30 AM
If the Valley rivers come down, have some visibility and get above 50 degrees the Spring adult Steelhead and Spring Half-pounders could be a possibility.

Lower American and Lower Feather rivers can be good for Spring Steelhead in April/May.

Striper come into the Lower American R is the Spring too.

Shad come in Spring for sure.

April/May should be good if we don't have too high of flows.

*On my FishHead app it says the Lower American River is running at 4,910 cfs and is 32 degrees.

**Lower Feather River @ Gridley, CA is running 40,229 cfs......yahoo.

STEELIES/26c3
03-18-2017, 07:55 PM
*On my FishHead app it says the Lower American River is running at 4,910 cfs and is 32 degrees.

Flow is correct but the water is 47-51 degrees depending on where and what time.

If it were 32, it would freeze in places...

My 'fishhead feet' been walkin all up and down the river from Sailor Bar to Paradise Beach. It's beautiful and there's lots of steelhead green water with 3-4' visibility and smooth, clean runs.

Fish are scattered unless you fish where you probably shouldn't...

Get out there and you'll be rewarded.

Don't wait for Andy to tell you.

I saw Smitty and Earl and Jeff C today.

There were a few, VERY FEW... fish hooked today.

Andy Guibord
03-19-2017, 09:43 AM
Sorry for posting so late after my float from Sunrise to Gristmill. Man, has the river changed. Some of my favorite runs are buggered up and some that were lousy are wonderful. There was about two to two and and a half feet of clarity- plenty to swing up a fish. I had one adult hook up but it came off- smacked a flash U Name It streamer.
Tried tossing clousers for stripes but not even a nip. There are some in the lower river. I will float the river this week.