PDA

View Full Version : Spring Lake, Santa Rosa

kyburz
03-08-2017, 11:24 AM
Any advice on flyfishing this lake for largemouth. I live right next to it but never flyfished it.

cdevine
03-08-2017, 11:47 AM
My home water! I grew up right next to Annadel Park and Spring Lake. Fished Spring and Ilsanjo a lot as a kid but that was spin fishing days. Huge bass in Spring Lake. I watched my buddy land a 10lb bass on a Gitzit and years ago there were rumors of world record coming out of there.
Hopefully you have a pontoon or small pram. That would be ideal. I would throw bait fish imitations this time of year. Warmer months, poppers in the evening.

kyburz
03-08-2017, 11:56 AM
Yeah, I talked with you about your kayaks a while back. Have spinfished the lake many times but never flyfished it. About time I start throwing some flies at it. Gonna get some big hairy baitfish imitations and hope for the best.

Morgan
03-08-2017, 12:37 PM
When I was younger and still lived in Santa Rosa there was a lady who caught what would have been the state record I believe. Right around 23 lbs. It was released if I remember correctly therefore it was never an official record. After that the lake was a zoo for a bit. Folks out trying to get that bass! I'm remember seeing pics in the Press Democrat.

Carl Blackledge
03-10-2017, 01:31 PM
Kyburz,

I live right down the street from Spring Lake. I used to jog around the lake every day and used to fish for bass out of my pram with a black woolly bugger with OK results. Actually, I am not a "Bass Guy." I also used to fish it the day after they stocked the lake with trout, and you could clobber the trout for a few days. It was fun fishing with a little PT nymph. I think the World's Record bass has allegedly been caught two times from the lake, and released both times. I also remember news about some woman and her son who claimed they caught a "world's record" but since they didn't retain the fish it was moot. After the world record news, every time I went there the parking lot was full of boat trailers with out of state licence plates, and the lake was covered with metal flake bass boats. I guess the world's record bass is worth a lot of money.

Carl Blackledge