PDA

View Full Version : The Fly Show 2017

johnsquires
03-04-2017, 07:12 PM
I didn't get to spend as much time there as I usually do. Saw the regulars, Scadden, Puglise (picked up some nice leech material), Allen, Rio, etc. Missed Norm Norlander this year. Some new lodge representatives. Nice to see Lost Coast Outfitters there (love that dog). What happened to the strike indicator booth with the girl in short shorts and tank top?

Heard the same complaints about the lack of "deals." We all remember those days in San Mateo. But I get it that it's hard to travel there, have the food and lodging expenses, the cost of the booth, and give deals like they used to.

What are your impressions? Did you find any deals?

Darian
03-05-2017, 03:16 PM
I picked up a foam stripping basket (Sea Level) from Jay Murakoshi but I paid for it earlier (good price, tho). Posted something about the show in an earlier thread but would add that I enjoyed talking to and watching an artist sketching a Brown Trout. He's a blend of graphic and watercolor artist. The result was very nice.

Checked out the books (just inside the entrance) and found a couple of books that were of interest but both were only available in hard back form and much too expensive. For example, "GT" was a book I thought about buying until I found it cost $40.00. Beautiful photo's of the Seychelles and minimal info on fishing for GT's. Can't see spending that kind of money on a coffee table book. Didn't buy any fly tying materials or equipment this time as I've been too busy at home to do much tying.

What interested me the most was the fly tyers. Steve Potters' deer hair creations are amazing. Jay M. was tying/discussing the No Brainer crease fly. Angel Lujan tying Striper flies. As I mentioned down below, there was a tyer there doing exact representations of all types of insects/minnows. He was really good!! Too bad I forgot to get his name or a card. As usual, I enjoyed all but the tying of small trout flies. Tying anything smaller than size 14 really just doesn't interest me any longer....

johnsquires
03-05-2017, 06:05 PM
Sorry, Darian, that I didn't see your prior post re the show. Apparently there's not much interest in the topic - or maybe nothing interesting to report - but it was nice to read your experience at the show.

tcorfey
03-05-2017, 09:51 PM
John,

I had a great time attended several seminars and classes visited at all the booths, got some great tips from some of the fly tiers.

I ended up purchasing several books and had them signed by the authors, got a bunch of good deals on close out nippers for 2$ and some scissors and hemostats for $5 from Adams built. I tried a bunch of rods and ended up purchasing three. One Graphite 8'6" 4wt $50.00 off retail, one fiberglass 7'6" 6wt (closeout) and a Bamboo rod from Joe Bradley, also got a few new reels less than retail and some waders for my son so I was happy.

Best part was talking with people and sharing experiences.

Regards,

Tim C.

Lance Gray
03-06-2017, 07:27 AM
I had a booth there this year and I have already booked my booth for next year.

It is a different show than the old San Mateo ISE show. We had lots of interest and many friends stop by and said hi.

If there is anything that anyone out there in Kiene's land would like to see more of or if they have a bitch - please let me know. I am always trying to make LGC a better guide service and travel agency.

You can email me direct or post it so everyone can respond.

Thanks

Baja Fly Fisher
03-06-2017, 10:35 AM
Darian, you must be talking about Bill Blackstone's natural looking flies, bug's and fish.
I sold a lot of flies and lot's of strung saddle hackle. I'm sure the who bought the saddles got their
money's worth. The flies went for $3.00 to $3.50. Lot's of people were telling me that I'm selling them
too cheap..
Next year, I might buy a table and then I'll be able to sell lot's of materials, like buck tails, threads, hackle, dubbing, etc...
Or I might put it on this board. I have lot's of dyed buck tails, saddles, dubbing, mylar tubing, flash a bou, tape eyes, marabou, foam bass bug bodies, etc.
Keep watching the Classified board. It could pop up any time

jay

Baja Fly Fisher
03-06-2017, 10:46 AM
One thing you have to remember, back in the days of the San Mateo show it was a different era. Lot's of interest in fly fishing. I'm not saying that the interest isn't here today. Also, a lot of the old timers attended the shows and did presentations, such as Lefty Kreh, Bob Clouser, Bob Popovics, the late Jose Weibe, etc... What I see at the shows nowadays are trips and presentations that most fly fishermen can't afford to take. I for one can't drop $8,000 for a weeks trip to whereever.
As for fly shops not selling materials. I would take at least a 20' space (double booth) to set up and sell materials. At $1,200 - $1,300 per 10'x10' booth that means selling a lot of gold beads, hackles, tinsel, buck tails, etc. Plus the shop has to pull materials for the store, pay employees to keep the shop open and pay the employees who work the shows. This also includes lodging, food, etc. Most shops now only advertise there stores and hope to sell at least one or two trips to off set expenses
This is how I look at it. I've been there, done it

Jay

johnsquires
03-06-2017, 11:52 AM
Jay, you are exactly right about the expenses involved on the one hand and offering deals on the other hand. Most of us old guys need to forget about the way the San Mateo show worked. But I do have fond memories about that place. I remember running into Bel Lange there in the parking lot (he used to work with my father at KOVR in Stockton) and he gave us free passes - and then we found lots of deals inside. Different time - more affordable time, in many ways.

Lance, that is great that it's working for you. Hopefully I'll have more time to spend at the show next year and can spend some time at your booth.

Tim, I was looking for a big guy with an Oakland Casting Club hat, but I didn't find you, unfortunately.

Jay, I hope you do have a table next year. I'm always looking for tying materials for my Alaska flies (lots of marabou).

lee s.
03-07-2017, 01:33 PM
John,
I looked for you Fri unsuccessfully. I still have a package for you and Joe.
We ALWAYS thoroughly enjoy the show.
We always seem to check out the tyers and spend a bunch of time there....this year spending much time BS'ing Lee Haskins and enjoying Angel's work at presenting and explaining his "dancers and divers". Well done men.
Seems like there is always some addition to the bucket list too....I just know we gotta live to a "hunnert" to get it all done. Sure did like those boys from Brazil who fished for EVERYTHING in the river WITH the tribes permission.
One thing we sorely missed was one of our favorite pastimes at the show, watching people watch Norm. Hope Ruthie is doing better.
....lee s.

Darian
03-07-2017, 05:52 PM
"One thing you have to remember, back in the days of the San Mateo show it was a different era. Lot's of interest in fly fishing. I'm not saying that the interest isn't here today. Also, a lot of the old timers attended the shows and did presentations, such as Lefty Kreh, Bob Clouser, Bob Popovics, the late Jose Weibe, etc..."

Not really complaining. The cost may be prohibitive for east coast guys to make a trip out here. I do recall meeting several east and north coast authors/tyers at the San Mateo ISE and earlier FF shows. Still great writers/tyers attending, tho. Many of the guys that were attending these shows as vendors/tyers are gone now.

johnsquires
03-09-2017, 06:53 PM
John,
I looked for you Fri unsuccessfully. I still have a package for you and Joe.
We ALWAYS thoroughly enjoy the show.
We always seem to check out the tyers and spend a bunch of time there....this year spending much time BS'ing Lee Haskins and enjoying Angel's work at presenting and explaining his "dancers and divers". Well done men.
Seems like there is always some addition to the bucket list too....I just know we gotta live to a "hunnert" to get it all done. Sure did like those boys from Brazil who fished for EVERYTHING in the river WITH the tribes permission.
One thing we sorely missed was one of our favorite pastimes at the show, watching people watch Norm. Hope Ruthie is doing better.
....lee s.

Sorry I missed you guys. I'm really curious what's in the package. Some of your leaders? Susan's recipe for fish tail soup?
I agree about watching people watch Norm.
We need to meet up.