PDA

View Full Version : Wahoo on the Fly!

Crusty
03-01-2017, 08:29 PM
My uncle and I chartered the Shogun out of San Diego to do just that! We have a couple of spots open. The trip isn't until Nov 2018 so you have plenty of time to beg, borrow or steal those 13-15wt setups. We need to provide the anglers names to Shogun Sportfishing in the next couple of months to secure the boat.

Interested? Questions? PM me here or use the contact info below.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/tkomdr/shogun_horizontal_flier_r2_zpsp3owotg7.jpg (http://s32.photobucket.com/user/tkomdr/media/shogun_horizontal_flier_r2_zpsp3owotg7.jpg.html)

If the mods deem this post inappropriate, I will delete it.14105

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-02-2017, 04:42 AM
Sounds like a wild blue water adventure Ray......

(Ray Beadle is a good friend of mine and a top blue water fly fisher)

Baja Fly Fisher
03-02-2017, 08:30 AM
I went on one of those trips many years ago. Never had a bad day. They always found some thing to catch. Trey Combs was the host. The only way I was able to afford the trip was from tying flies for each of Trey's group. I remember tying a bunch of flies for a dentist who resides in the bay area. I think Ray was on the same trip as Wendy Gunn (Hanvold), Steve Abel, Ed Rice, etc...
The only draw back for me was when we came back to San Diego and got off the boat. I wasn't sure if I would be able to drive. I rocked and rolled for two days.
I have the flyer posted to my bulletin board. i don't think I will make this trip. I will have 4 trips to CI and hopefully a couple to New Zealand on schedule for 2018

Jay

Crusty
03-02-2017, 10:46 AM
Hey Jay

Thanks for posting the flyer to your bulletin board.

I've bought flies from you before and will again for this trip.

Ray was on those Ed Rice sponsored trips, I was a poor college kid back then.

Rusty.

Carl Blackledge
03-02-2017, 12:01 PM
Hey Rusty,

I could be your source for Big Game (14-16 wt) Sage fly rods for rent.

I also have a very large collection of Abel super 12's, Tibor pacific's and signatures reels. I could supply those reels with just about any fly line you would need. Saving somebody a lot of money.

Carl Blackledge

Crusty
03-05-2017, 09:41 AM
I thought I'd post this short video to get some "I want Wahoo" blood flowing.

https://www.facebook.com/ThomasandThomasFlyFishing/videos/1193323117399723/

Crusty
03-29-2017, 10:05 AM
Another video. A tour of the boat. With the ultra-limited load, 10 of the 13 staterooms will be single occupancy, the other 3 will be doubles.

http://www.fishingtails.info/shogun-sportfishing-walk-thru/

mems
03-29-2017, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the video, I have seen that boat docked in San Diego, and ate some great seafood right across the dock from that long range boat. The bunks look a little spartan, but it is a fishing trip. Should be fun with that number of fly guys. Mems.

Lew Riffle
04-02-2017, 05:11 PM
Click Bait! Verdad? have you no shames :)

Crusty
04-26-2018, 11:55 AM
We still have ONE spot open.

Here's a link to an article about epic marlin fishing in the same area and time-frame we'll be there.

https://www.marlinmag.com/crazy-striped-marlin-action-off-magdalena-bay-mexico

Crusty

ifsteve
04-29-2018, 02:48 PM
I went on this trip for my 50th birthday. You do NOT want me on this. In our 8 days we raised:

Striped Marlin - 0
Wahoo - 0
YFT over schoolie size - One small pod and they never came to the boat.

Trey hosted that trip and at the end said "This was my 34th time doing this trip and this was by FAR the worst one ever." I have been itching to go again ever since. Nobody every accused me of being smart....lol.

Crusty
04-29-2018, 04:58 PM
Time of the year is EVERYTHING. We talked to Trey, and he ran most of his trips in Jan-Feb, because the boats are cheaper during that time frame. Cheaper for a reason, less fish. Most of his trips were 5-8 day trips and went no further than Alijos Rocks, well short of our destination of Mag Bay.

We will be there Nov-Dec, PRIMETIME. But, as we all know, don't count your fish until they're at leader.

ifsteve
04-30-2018, 06:31 PM
We spent most our entire trip off shore from Mag Bay down to Cabo. Hit all the "famous" humps and ridges. But it was in January and that may have been a part of the issue. But still it wasn't that we had fewer fish....we had NONE.

Crusty
04-30-2018, 06:59 PM
We spent most our entire trip off shore from Mag Bay down to Cabo. Hit all the "famous" humps and ridges. But it was in January and that may have been a part of the issue. But still it wasn't that we had fewer fish....we had NONE.

All the way to Cabo on an eight day? Doesn't sound right.

Sorry you had a bad trip.

ifsteve
05-02-2018, 02:56 PM
All the way to Cabo on an eight day? Doesn't sound right.

Sorry you had a bad trip.

What doesn't sound right about that?

Crusty
05-02-2018, 03:27 PM
What doesn't sound right about that?

It takes 3 days for a party boat out of San Diego to get to Cabo non-stop (no fishing or searching), and 3 to 3 and 1/2 days to return (possible uphill weather). That leaves two days to fish on an eight day.

I was unaware of any fly down or back trips by Trey. Fly down to Cabo and return to S.D. would work time-wise, but you wouldn't have 400+ scoops of live chum that you would have with a S.D. departure. I may be wrong, but I'm unaware of any S.D. departures and fly back by Trey.

All the way to Cabo round trip from S.D. just doesn't leave enough time to fish or work an area on an eight day.

Again, sorry you had a bad trip.

Rusty

ifsteve
05-03-2018, 06:48 AM
Rusty,

This trip was 8 days of fishing. Should have been more clear on that. There were several options for taking the trip. You could meet the boat in SD and do the several day boat ride down to Mag Bay. But most of us flew to Cabo, bussed to La Paz for a night. Then bussed from La Paz over to Mag Bay to meet the Shogun. Then fish 8 days ending up in Cabo the last night. Then you could fly back from Cabo or if you were crazy you could ride the boat all the way back to SD. So we did have the live wells loaded with chum etc.

It was a fantastic experience. Just the fishing sucked....lol. If I wasn't headed to the Seychelles next year I'd be all over this one

Good luck!!