PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing Show....

Darian
02-24-2017, 10:11 PM
Went to the Fly Fishing Show at Pleasanton today. Weather was beautiful and the show was well attended for a Friday. Had a great time meeting/talking with some old friends and some new ones. Visited with Joan/Steve Rheem, Jim May, Edwin Low, Tony Serpa and met a new acquaintance, Glenn Ueda. Glenn is a go to guy in SoCal for Carp/Carp flies but also is a saltwater fly guy. Saw Maury Hatch and Fly Fishing Specialties was there, too.

Took a look at Steve Potters' deer hair bugs. He has some very small (hook size 8/10???) deer hair body poppers and Dahlberg Divers that look like they're for panfish but Steve said he's caught Bass on 'em, too. He has some cutters to cut legs from what looks to be chamois(??) for his hopper and frog patterns. In the next fly tying station was a tyer (forgot to get his name) who was tying realistic patterns. Stonefly, Caddis, minnows and a Crayfish that looked like it would crawl off the table. After looking his bugs over, I would be reluctant to put one on the water for fear a fish might destroy it. Jay Murakoshi was tying some of his billfish and "No Brainer" crease flies.

One of the rod makers, Aaron Bamboo Rods - Portland Oregon, had some 3 wt rods that had grips made from various hard woods (hand turned) and wrapped with rattan. The finishes were beautiful. Lots of other rod makers there, also.

I did accomplish one objective, tho. I had one semi-annual Polish Dog, chips and a soft drink.

I didn't make it to any of the seminars this year as I was trying to see everything and exit early to miss the Bay Area commute traffic but I guess there's not much possibility of doing that on a Friday afternoon. Ughh....

tcorfey
02-24-2017, 11:54 PM
I was there too, it was fun, picked up a good deal on a couple of items, attended seminars by Gary Borger on streamers and Joe Contaldi on fishing the eastern Sierra. Had a nice chat with Joe Humphries and got some fly tying tips from Mas Okui. Spoke with Joe Bradley, Dave Dozer about their Bamboo rods and the Rio rep about some of their new lines. Stayed late for the film festival.

Overall a very nice time.

Tim C.