PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

njbeast
02-21-2017, 10:06 PM
Just acquired my dad's old Garcia Mitchell 308 spinning reel, I believe early 70's. Anyone know of a good place for repairs? I am in the bay area. Thanks...Glenn

Larry S
02-23-2017, 05:22 PM
Glenn,
http://www.archuletasreelworks.com/

I think he primarily works with fly reels, but, he might suggest a site for you to go to.
I know fly guys swear by him.
Best,
Larry S

Baja Fly Fisher
02-23-2017, 06:10 PM
I agree. Seems like a lot of people who need reel repairs has it done by them

audax
02-23-2017, 08:45 PM
Just acquired my dad's old Garcia Mitchell 308 spinning reel, I believe early 70's. Anyone know of a good place for repairs? I am in the bay area. Thanks...Glenn

Check out alantani.com

Though I don't use conventional gear now, I've found the information and discussions on his site extremely interesting.

On the same site is a subforum discussing reel repair centers: http://alantani.com/index.php?board=27.0

Alan Tani, the site owner, performs repairs (see thread at top of previous link). He's located in Saratoga,...not far from you.

winxp_man
02-24-2017, 07:24 PM
Just a heads up might not be worth repairing an older reel. I have seen some of these reels go for $40-50. So with that said if it needs very little minor repairs then go for it but if not I would not stress it because it might not be worth the value of work needed to be done. Unlesssss....... Its something thats of sentimental valued being its your pop's reel. I do repairs on conventional reels and it can get pricey especially if parts are hard to find.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-24-2017, 08:25 PM
I sold and used those reels in the 1960s in some local sporting goods stores.

The Garcia Mitchell 308 was a nice small spinning reel for 4 to 8 pound mono.

I also worked on them.

Not sure if Bill Archuleta works on spinning reels.

You can buy nice new Shimano spinning reel for $39.95

If the reel means something to you then look for a tackle shop in your area that does spinning reel repair.

In our area Fisherman's Warehouse does reel repair.

Address: 9035 Folsom Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95826

Phone:(916) 362-1200

njbeast
02-24-2017, 09:51 PM
Thanks...sent an email and hopefully Alan can repair my reel...can't wait to fish with dad's old reel and his old Garcia Conolon..