PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for my Rio Outbound Short Fly Line

JAWallace
02-15-2017, 10:05 AM
I am trying to line up a new rod, a 10 wt. 7'9" fiberglass rod from Epic Fly Rods. I tried using my 330 gr. OBS S6 that I have always used successfully for my 8-9 wt.carbon fiber and glass rods on the Delta, and it feels heavy on this rod. I was struggling to get 60' casts and blowing a lot inbetween. It isn't the length of the rod that's the problem as I can do much better with other lines on it.

My OBS line is about gone, and I need to replace it. If I dropped down to a WF7S6 line it's 265 grains which is a little on the light side for that rod for a shooting line.

I fish an SA Sonar Titan DC line in 6 wt. 210 grain with my 6 wt. glass rods and it's an amazing line, 90' casts come fairly easy. It's an Intermediate/Sink 3/Sink 5 line.

I'm considering a 285 grain SA Sonar Titan DC line in Sink 3/Sink5/Sink7 densities, but the running line would be a type III line.

Question I have is have you ever used a more conventional lake line like the Sonar Titan or Rio Deep 6 on the Delta or even Lower American, and if so, how did it work in comparison to an OBS or similar shooting head line?

thanks!

John

Sheepdog8404
02-15-2017, 11:00 AM
Hey John,

I have an InTouch OBS WF7I/S6 that you can borrow if you want to try it on your rod to see how it feels. It's spooled on a reel too. Let me know.

JAWallace
02-15-2017, 11:02 AM
Oh man that would be perfect, thanks! I'll be in touch after I go out to the park today to try to get the 330 gr. to work with some different lengths of head out. So nice, thanks.
Hey John,

I have an InTouch OBS WF7I/S6 that you can borrow if you want to try it on your rod to see how it feels. It's spooled on a reel too. Let me know.

Terry Thomas
02-18-2017, 09:47 AM
Airflo's Sniper line is also a good choice in similar grain weight.

JAWallace
02-18-2017, 09:54 AM
So I've heard, Terry. thanks. Since I did the OP I've done some casting and realized I need more grain weight, probably around 330-350 as before. The problem wasn't the line weight--the coating was torn and hanging in the guides. The Airflo jumps from 315 to 375, and without trying one I'm not sure there's a good fit for this rod. I don't know if the shop has an 8 or 9 weight in those sizes to test?

Mr T
04-19-2017, 10:25 AM
did you ever settle on a line? curious as to what you got, I'm looking to swap out a SA custom tip I used for a few years that is just wearing out.

JAWallace
04-19-2017, 11:15 AM
did you ever settle on a line? curious as to what you got, I'm looking to swap out a SA custom tip I used for a few years that is just wearing out.. I did. Cortland Quick Descent which is discontinued but still around for about half a current integrated line. The running line is nice and rarely tangles.