PDA

View Full Version : Next Winter Plans

Idadon
02-14-2017, 08:22 PM
Looking to go another direction next winter. After two disappointing years of CA/OR I'm thinking of maybe heading to the Texas gulf coast, maybe the stretch between South Padre Island to Corpus Christi. The area advertises surf fishing and bay fishing for Trout, Reds, Flounder, etc.. All species I've caught before but never on the Gulf.

I'll be in my RV so no boat just wading. Keeping in mind that my other half is lobbying hard for Arizona (YUK) I need advise as to weither an aged, wading fisherman could hope to find any decent fishing from say November to April. I'm thinking the fly rods might see limited use but that's Ok. Any info is appreciated including good RV parks close to the water.

You guys stay safe out there! It's looking like Eastern Idaho might have a rough spring melt. Most of our watersheds are well above average. Hoping for a cool spring and slow melt.

Darian
02-15-2017, 10:30 AM
Never fished there before but it's on my bucket list. According to everything I've read, access is good and there're lots of places to wade fish. Also, guides available for bay/marsh fishing. Sure looks like a lot of fun. Oughta be a great trip.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-15-2017, 11:08 AM
Top guide on the Gulf Coast says Oct/Nov and June are his favorite months for serious fly fishing trips.

We are in Florida in the winter and it can be good fishing if we get some warm weather.

Should be the same on the gulf coast.

If you will be there for a month in the winter you will probably get some cold weather and some warm weather.

Idadon
02-15-2017, 11:54 AM
Been on my "Bucket List" for years but never could pass up a fall & winter in the west. After this year I need somewhere warm. Comparatively speaking the gulf coast temperatures seem about like Arizona. If a guy gets lucky and can avoid the tornadoes & fire ants it might be fun. YouTube has a ton of videos of padre island fishing for big reds in the winter. Getting Excited already!!

Peter S
02-15-2017, 12:18 PM
Saw a good presentation at the last Shasta Trinity Club meeting on fishing in this area by Robert Tamson, from Rocklin. He's a member here so you might want to send him a PM to get more info.

Idadon
02-15-2017, 01:21 PM
Thanks Peter. I'll look him up. How's the river doing there by you. Spent a few days at the Red Bluff RV park in December. Was kind of wondering if the park is staying above water? My sister lives in Anderson, right on the river, and she is pretty worried about this storm coming.

Peter S
02-15-2017, 01:48 PM
Thanks Peter. I'll look him up. How's the river doing there by you. Spent a few days at the Red Bluff RV park in December. Was kind of wondering if the park is staying above water? My sister lives in Anderson, right on the river, and she is pretty worried about this storm coming.

The river is very high and part of the parking lot at the Bend Ferry Bridge boat ramp is underwater. The water is really moving and it will be unfishable for at least a couple of weeks.

Idadon
02-15-2017, 02:32 PM
Thanks Bill! Planning to leave Idaho in November this year but we are flexible. If October & November are the best months we could probably get down there by mid October. Florida is a possibility too. I've got family in Tarpon Springs area that keep telling me to come down there but that's an extra 1000 miles. I guess the fishing is pretty good there too if you have a boat.