PDA

View Full Version : Truckee (east)

cdevine
01-31-2017, 11:29 AM
I spent a day up on the Truckee (way east of town) recently and I can affirm a few things previously mentioned.

First, its very cold before 11am. Like guides immediately freezing and reel seizing type cold. Have that second cup of coffee. Don't be like me.

Second, access is challenging. I consider myself more adventurous than most and even sliding down snow banks and trecking in knee deep snow was probably not the smartest choice. I made it to the river but not without some work and I'm not talking about normal pullout spots near town.

Third, flows were damn near perfect at about 400-425 and the water was more clear than green. It might have been green a few days ago but yesterday I would rate as clear.

Lastly, the fishing.... Well for me it was tough. In hindsight I was probably fishing a little too fast moving water although I was really trying to find that frog stuff. Overnight lows dropping into the single digits has made these fish very lethargic. I did see some small midges around 2pm. (size 20-22). No heads rising. Didn't see any small winter stones but I'm sure they are out.

Oh, Frank nice article on the Truckee in this months California fly magazine. Spot on.

the all snow pic is a full boca.1265112652

cdevine
03-04-2017, 11:04 AM
I fished the big T the other day. Great color/clarity and much better access than a few weeks ago. Still big water at 1000-1300 CFS depending on where you fish. Fish the edges and soft water and you should be fine. You shouldn't have to get very wet unless you are netting a fish. Decent pressure for midweek but that comes with the nicer weather. Met a few really nice guys including a retired man who told me he's on the water 100+ days a year. Wish I was him.

Looks like more snow coming so access again could be little tricky toward town. Cold arctic storm with expected snow levels dipping into foothills. Should be some nice utah powder for those skiing. I doubt water levels change much unless flows are increased from reservoirs.

Sheepdog8404
03-05-2017, 10:20 AM
Thanks for posting that update! I've been thinking about heading up there lately but my schedule just hasn't accommodated it yet. Perhaps next weekend if this storm doesn't blow it out and make access impossible?

cdevine
03-05-2017, 05:03 PM
Thanks for posting that update! I've been thinking about heading up there lately but my schedule just hasn't accommodated it yet. Perhaps next weekend if this storm doesn't blow it out and make access impossible?

Sheepdog- The river will be fine in regards to this storm right now. Some of the lightest powder I've seen in a long time. Its the sort of stuff the ski junkies love. Friend of mine lives in Placerville and they were getting snow at 2k feet. So virtually no impact at all on the flows. Now if they start pumping out of prosser/boca that could change things.

Access is a different story especially closer to town. I slapped some snow shoes on the other day and it was great. Def worth it when conditions apply. Be careful and stay on the bank. They are tucked pretty tight.