PDA

View Full Version : The passing of Ike Berry

Bull_Dog
01-28-2017, 11:48 PM
I am sorry to announce that one of Reno's most famous fly fishing locals has passed away. Ike Berry, the originator of the Pyramid Lake Beetle lost a battle with cancer last week. Ike will be remembered for his gentle attitude and willingness to help anyone. Especially fly fishing enthusiasts. Ike started fly fishing back in the 60's and is known well by the locals for his love of the sport. Ike started fishing Pyramid with a fly rod back in a day when most anglers did not even know what fly fishing was. Ike will be missed by the local Reno-Sparks community for years to come.

I was lucky enough to spend time getting to know Ike over the past three years and I can say Ike is one of the kindest people I have ever met. I was also lucky enough to get an interview with Ike last year about the invention of the Pyramid Lake Beetle in the late 1980's. I wrote an article in one of the last editions of Sierra Fly Fisherman Magazine before its owner, Bob Leonard stopped the presses due to similar issues with Cancer.

Today another article about Ike and the Beetle hit social Media by Lance Dean of fish baits Fly Box and it brought back some memories for me and I would like to share.

http://www.fishbaitsflybox.com/2017/01/ike-berry-and-his-foam-beetle.html

Thanks for the Article Lance Dean!

So Long Ike, It was great knowing you God Bless!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-29-2017, 11:04 AM
We are loosing a lot of wonderful old fly fishers.

Thanks