PDA

View Full Version : We need to work on our fly casting......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-21-2017, 10:51 PM
We all should be able to pick up a 5 weight rod with a weight forward floating line and with a couple of false casts hit 60 feet and turn over the fly and leader.

With the popularity of indicator fishing in steams and lakes plus trolling with float tubes and pontoon boats many never have to get very good at fly casting to catch lots of fish.

If you fish lakes either dry fly fishing or casting and stripping wet flies you want to be able to cast long distances.

If you want to wade and swing wet flies in a river for Steelhead you need to be able to cast longer distances.

If you go flats fishing in the wind of tropics you need to be a very strong fly caster.

In Sacramento we are very lucky to have 3 excellent fly casting instructors.

Jeff Putnam, Andy Guibord and Doug Duncan.

All 3 teach single hand and two hand fly casting.

Jeff Putnam http://www.jpflyfishing.com/

Andy Guibord https://andyguibord.wordpress.com/

Doug Duncan http://duncanflyfishing.com/

Also lots of the local fly clubs have casting help too.

Bkane
01-22-2017, 09:06 AM
Great post Bill. The most important facet of fly fishing, well above rod,reel, lines etc.

Jeff Putnam
01-27-2017, 01:05 AM
So true... when you don't have to think about getting the fly to the target this sport changes and opens incredible opportunities and potential memories. Thanks to the great ambassadors of our sport such as Bill Kiene. -JP

Gary T
01-30-2017, 09:59 AM
So true... when you don't have to think about getting the fly to the target this sport changes and opens incredible opportunities and potential memories. Thanks to the great ambassadors of our sport such as Bill Kiene. -JP

I agree with Jeff 100%.
Fly casting "IS" the most important essential skill in fly fishing. Think about this: A guide can put you near the fish, either in a boat or help you wade into position, pick out the right fly and even tie the fly on for you, but THEN he hands you the rod and YOU have to make the cast.

I see many anglers who pony up BIG money on the best equipment, thinking it will make them a better caster.
In reality, they would be better off including some casting lessons in their budget.
The smart anglers buy the good gear and then take a few casting lessons so they can cast with windy conditions on their upcoming big dollar destination trip.

If you love fly fishing like I do, and plan to do it for a long time, why not try to improve your casting skills so you can enjoy the sport that much more and reduce your frustration level. Its just like golf. Its really nice to be able to consistently put the ball close to wear you want it to go.

I've been fly fishing for 23 years and enjoyed every minute. But when i decided to really improve my skills, and became a certified casting instructor, it changed the sport in many positive ways, especially the dry fly game.

Make 2017 the year you devote more time to casting practice and I guarantee you'll be glad you did.

Tight Loops,
Gary T

johnsquires
01-31-2017, 07:11 PM
It was/is my New Year's resolution, even after all these years. I'm not a numbers guy when fishing, so my mediocre casting abilities (due in large part to some orthopedic issues) hasn't bothered me up to this point - I suspect because I get to fish in some pretty forgiving places. But one of the attractions of this sport is the challenge is always there to improve. I took a lesson from Jeff and was amazed in many regards. Now I'm doing the casting lessons at the Golden Gate club, along with my wife. I'm getting up there in age (chronologically, not mentally or physically), but I'm not ready to settle for the status quo.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-31-2017, 07:35 PM
Over my life in fly fishing the biggest complaints from guides is about poor fly casters which make their success ratio suffer.

Top guides can bring people up a few notches throughout the day but it is a waste of good fishing time.

Gary T
02-01-2017, 09:31 AM
John,
Glad that you are doing lessons at Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club. I'm an Instructor there and teach the Advanced group on the Free Casting Lessons held on the 2nd Saturday of every month. We have 4 skill levels that we teach and its free and open to the public.

Bill,
This is a great thread that you started and all your statements are spot on. Thanks for reminding everyone how important fly casting is. The more you improve your casting skills, the more fish you will catch and have a better overall experience, even if you don't catch any fish.

Remember this one - If you don't know where the fish are, but can cast well and cover the water, you're likely to catch fish.
On the other hand, If you know where the fish are, but cannot reach them or present the fly well, then you're not even in the game!

johnsquires
02-04-2017, 11:46 AM
John,
Glad that you are doing lessons at Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club. I'm an Instructor there and teach the Advanced group on the Free Casting Lessons held on the 2nd Saturday of every month. We have 4 skill levels that we teach and its free and open to the public..

I'll be there on the 11th - and so will my wife.

tcorfey
02-04-2017, 01:59 PM
John, I did not want to take away from the Golden Gate club as they are excellent but, because you live in the East Bay you may also want to consider coming to the Oakland Casting club's ponds.

They also offer free lessons and many people in the area belong to both clubs. If you are interested drop me a PM and I can send you a link to the website and directions. Really nice people at both locations. If you want I can meet you there on a weekend, I do not teach people but I can certainly show you around if you prefer. Even when organized free lessons are not offered many of the instructors are around honing their own skills for casting competitions and are more than willing to assist you with any help you need or questions you need answered.

Regards,
Tim C.

johnsquires
02-04-2017, 02:15 PM
Thanks, Tim. I hear so many good things about the Oakland Casting club. I'm going to take a look at the website right now - and will make an effort to get over there soon. Can you go there during the week?

tcorfey
02-04-2017, 06:57 PM
John,
I can't normally get there during the day on a work week (usually if I take a day off mid-week I head for a river) but, when the sun stays up a little later I will go after 5 pm. My understanding is that there are a bunch of the older guys that gather there every Wednesday morning not sure what time, they would be welcome to assist anyone that comes by. But, stop by anytime and bring your rod and do some practice.

The targets are always out or you can just practice in the open section. Almost every time I go there is some one else there doing the same. By the way you do not have to join the club to come in and practice. It is a public space and everyone is welcome. Once you start coming regularly you will probably be like me and want to join the club and help out or join in some of the fishing trips.

On Friday February 24th I will probably stop by around 8-9am and do some casting in the morning before heading to the Pleasanton Fly show if you are interested?

Regards,

Tim C.

gitt
02-04-2017, 10:14 PM
John,

Like Tim suggests, Wednesday mornings are a good time to show up at the Oakland Casting Ponds. Folks are usually there from 9 am thru noon and sometimes until 1 pm. There are lots of older guys, mostly retired, if not those who snuck off from work to get some practice in. There are plenty of folks willing to provide constructive and supportive help. Wife thought it was a safe haven for seniors to hang out without being arrested for vagrancy laws or illegal assembly when we both dropped by. You will fit right in. 80) Depending on what you want to get out of it, you could hook up with the competition casters or folks that fish. Both are ready to provide pointers in a non-threatening way. Who knows, you might develop friendships as well. Just know that extra eyes help until you develop muscle memory. I have seen guys walk into the ponds not having a clue how to cast and left very confident with the guidance provided in delivering the fly on target. The same should hold true for Golden Gate as well.

Hope this helps.

johnsquires
02-04-2017, 10:47 PM
Thanks, guys, for the information.
I actually signed up today, signed up both myself and my wife. Like you say, I'm thinking it will serve two purposes, improve my casting and meet some like-minded folks.
BTW, I have a function to attend in Napa on the weekend of the Pleasanton show, so I'm going to hit the fly show on Friday before heading to Napa Friday afternoon. I hope I bump into some of the forum members.

tcorfey
02-05-2017, 12:02 AM
Hope to run into you at the show John, or maybe at the casting ponds...

Tim C.

johnsquires
02-05-2017, 10:29 AM
Hope to run into you at the show John, or maybe at the casting ponds...

Tim C.

You will recognize me - I'm the old guy with no hair.

goby
02-05-2017, 11:56 AM
I consider myself a very good caster. I can't cast 90 feet, nor do I want to. But I can competently throw about 10 different casts depending on the situation.
For beginners, I don't know that there is anything better than the old Doug Swisher 3M videos.

For intermediate casters, this is an amazing video. I paid the $25.00 or so for it, and it's worth every penny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOdvCH1vA80

tcorfey
02-05-2017, 02:26 PM
John,

I will probably wear my Oakland Casting club hat.. might be easier to spot me.

johnsquires
02-05-2017, 02:44 PM
John,

I will probably wear my Oakland Casting club hat.. might be easier to spot me.

Real thin guy in an Oakland Casting Club hat. Got it.

Gary T
02-05-2017, 06:01 PM
I will be at the Pleasanton Fly Fishing Show on Friday and Saturday, working in the IFFF Learning Center Booth teaching fly casting.
My shift is 9am to noon both days. Friday is usually a slow day and Saturday has more folks stopping by for casting instruction.
We will have rods set up ready to cast and casting is outside on the grass area.
Stop by and say hi and I'll be happy to help any forum members with their casting.

Tight Loops,
Gary T

tcorfey
02-05-2017, 06:02 PM
John,

Been a while since I was called real thin, 6'5" tall and almost 300lbs.. Think of an older Defensive tackle...

Gary, I will try to stop by and say hi! Thanks for taking the time to promote our sport!

johnsquires
02-05-2017, 06:58 PM
Gary, I will come by for sure. Thank you!

Tim, that description should make it easier to find you. I don't know what you guys are eating these days. Seems like all my clients (Lee) are really big and strong. And my son (who guides with me) is six-something and 280. Great guys to have along when there is a portage involved.