PDA

View Full Version : Truckee, CA.

bigfly
01-11-2017, 03:29 PM
We had some weather.... nothing historic for sure.....but enough to update the post.
This was two days and nights accumulation. Which isn't much really.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac260/Bigfly1/Clients/20170111_1344231.jpg (http://s905.photobucket.com/user/Bigfly1/media/Clients/20170111_1344231.jpg.html)

Slightly over 13" on the deck.
The only reason we had power issues was the heavy water content sludge.
We got some pow, but then some rain.
Also above freezing temps right now.......
Saturated snow makes it tough to blow, but we persist.......once the Honda 928 can't handle it, we shovel.
All those who are big snow boosters, should have to help out.
Long time locals have faced the snow monster many times.
It takes more than two feet to scare........
I would advise not coming up for fun just yet....streets a filled with slush, and folks who are snow challenged.
Unless you WANT to help out........we have extra shovels.....

The river is already coming down and clearing.
Give it a day or two before coming up, and we will be ready to attack....
High flows create an opportunity to use a variety of food forms...
Worms come to mind.
Stone nymphs...
Baetis nymphs....
Fish the edges for best results.
Give a call if you want to learn some big water techniques...

Jim

JD2105
01-11-2017, 04:21 PM
How are the flows looking this weekend? Im from around sac and would maybe think of making a day trip out of it if it will be good. Ive never fished the truckee so any info you could provide will be helpful. Thanks.

bigfly
01-11-2017, 04:40 PM
The Truckee river is not exactly easy at normal flows. Say 150-300cfs
These are not normal flows.......450cfs near town...and much bigger below that...
Would say that unless you are a very seasoned angler, it would be a good idea to wave off.
Actually, more like common sense...Roads are bad, and more weather coming.
I go out now because I have to, and to me, it is fun. Guides will fish when others won't....
But 2-3 feet of snow, and large icy water is nothing to fool around with.......
Don't mean to discourage, come up in the Spring, fishing will be better......

Jim

JD2105
01-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the advice

cdevine
01-11-2017, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the advice

From a lot of personal experience I struggle above 1k CFS. Just a really big raging monster. For some I'm sure they can get into fish. (Landing could be a different story). The river is still above 2k+ through most of it from Boca down to Reno. That is big, big water. That is the section I usually fish and I wouldn't even give it a shot at these flows. Quite frankly its dangerous. Glenshire down to Boca is probably a lot more fishable come Friday-Sun. I would imagine it will be below 1k CFS by then as things start to clear out. Would be fun to chuck some big stuff because now is the time you could get into a hog. You don't have to get your feet wet at these flows nor should you.

Also from 2nd hand it sounds like its still a mess up there. Resorts closed, power out, roads are a mess. I'm going to stay away and let people get their lives back a little. Everybody and there mom is going to try and make it up this weekend on the slopes. Could be a zoo.

JD2105
01-11-2017, 05:26 PM
Yeah i figured just thought i would ask just anxious to get a line in somewhere :) looks like ill have to be patient and wait until the waters are slowed

bigfly
01-11-2017, 05:40 PM
01/20/17
Snowing again....another 4"-6" last night.
Looks like another good day to fish!

It's been nice this week, which made shoveling easier.........although you could break a shovel handle if you got a full scoop...if you could lift it.....
Roads are snowy slippery, but traffic is better. Most visitors have left.....
Mid-week is best, and avoid driving near resorts at 8:00 AM and then again at 4:00 - 5:00 PM.
It's not crack O dawn fishing this time of year...sleep in?

Midges and worms would be a good combo.....
Hit'em on the nose.....mostly in soft water.
The takes are soft, and subtle. Like we say, "was that rock ticking, or a fish taking".......be quick on the draw.
I saw fish rising today...midges or BWOs...but I think the former...

We have been out, and the river still fishes...
Parking to access the water is the main issue....no parking on surface streets.
Glennshire is snowed in (Blessed be the plow guy, we have some parking spots), but Hirschdale has parking.......big water though.....6wt and 3-4 shot.
Be safe on the water........bring extra clothes as always.

Watch the flows..
I'd rate it green/tan 3ft of vis. and rising slowly. 35 deg.
The warmer weather and rain this week will cause flows to go up again a little or a lot, so watch temps...when air temp is cold again, attack.
Bring a good rain jacket....it's wet out. Might be time two pair of socks...

Give a shout if I can help....1st hand info is best.

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac260/Bigfly1/Clients/20170116_154306.jpg (http://s905.photobucket.com/user/Bigfly1/media/Clients/20170116_154306.jpg.html)

The snow pack is very firm to walk on.......

Jim

bigfly
01-25-2017, 10:43 AM
Thought I'd let you know of our progress......we are coming around to normalcy up here....
When the going gets tough, we go....
For those who can't see over the road berms..I thought I'd share what it looks like.
The snow is pretty deep but we are packing out the trail....as locals we tag-team this task......
About a twenty minute hike to water right now....

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac260/Bigfly1/20170124_091630.jpg (http://s905.photobucket.com/user/Bigfly1/media/20170124_091630.jpg.html)

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac260/Bigfly1/20170124_100847.jpg (http://s905.photobucket.com/user/Bigfly1/media/20170124_100847.jpg.html)

Water temp is 34 deg. and green/clear....

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac260/Bigfly1/20170124_102226.jpg (http://s905.photobucket.com/user/Bigfly1/media/20170124_102226.jpg.html)

And fishy.....
Being a statistical fisher...I keep track...seven drifts and four fish...I think they are hungry.
Midges....baetis...worms....soft fast takes.....
Keep them in the water so they don't get nipped....air temp is below freezing.
As always, be safe, fishing alone isn't the best idea, if you go far from the car...
Snow shoes might be a good call....

Parking is doable in a few places...get off the road completely!
It's looking like we may have a winter!
Hope you are all well.........

Jim

yankeefanbob
01-25-2017, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the info & pics Jim......

yubaman
01-25-2017, 02:57 PM
Wow, nice pics Jim!!! Love the countryside looking like that. Nice rainbow as well, thanks for the good fishing news. We were up skiing last week in the midst of all the snow. Awesome powder, best I have seen in Tahoe for awhile now. Here are a couple of pics of what we drove up to last Tuesday. Mind you 3+ feet more fell after we left on Friday morning . . .126351263612637

Frank R. Pisciotta
01-25-2017, 03:50 PM
"...Parking is doable in a few places...get off the road completely!"

Jim---great fishing and super images!

Yes, indeed few parking places off the road; berms blocking access down to Hirschdale and along 80 west from Boca. At noon saw one, safe off-the-road spot along Glenshire Drive to the bridge. No off-road access in Hirschdale, plowed snow stopped at the quarry road. Saw one angler in the water at Boca inflow; guess he parked at the dam and walked down the road. didn't fish...

Frank R. Pisciotta

cdevine
01-25-2017, 06:20 PM
"...Parking is doable in a few places...get off the road completely!"

Jim---great fishing and super images!

Yes, indeed few parking places off the road; berms blocking access down to Hirschdale and along 80 west from Boca. At noon saw one, safe off-the-road spot along Glenshire Drive to the bridge. No off-road access in Hirschdale, plowed snow stopped at the quarry road. Saw one angler in the water at Boca inflow; guess he parked at the dam and walked down the road. didn't fish...

Frank R. Pisciotta

Nice fish. Pretty pics. This is sort of what the river needed especially the LT. I imagine only snowmobile and diehard xcountry ski's can get back there. A nice break. Any access down to Farad? Last week I didn't make it out and usually that area gets much less snow. Typically I go pretty east.

John Sv
01-25-2017, 06:53 PM
Sorry for the hijack but you guys are the ones to ask.
The Land Trust I work for holds a conservation easement for river access, from a little above Farad to the Nevada line, give or take.
The stretch downstream from Farad to the new USGS gauge (which is the big gravel lot that truckers use as a rest spot about 1/2 mile down from Farad corner)- we are getting a lot of people driving out of our lot and right down to the river's edge. Some are fishermen. You used to not be able to do that but some of our boulders have been moved over the past 3 years. Would it give you guys heartburn if I put the boulders back? We are talking an extra 50 yards walking, tops.
Thanks
John

James W
01-25-2017, 10:18 PM
Sorry for the hijack but you guys are the ones to ask.
The Land Trust I work for holds a conservation easement for river access, from a little above Farad to the Nevada line, give or take.
The stretch downstream from Farad to the new USGS gauge (which is the big gravel lot that truckers use as a rest spot about 1/2 mile down from Farad corner)- we are getting a lot of people driving out of our lot and right down to the river's edge. Some are fishermen. You used to not be able to do that but some of our boulders have been moved over the past 3 years. Would it give you guys heartburn if I put the boulders back? We are talking an extra 50 yards walking, tops.
Thanks
John

Go for it, I can make it back and forth just fine. ;)

Frank R. Pisciotta
01-26-2017, 12:30 PM
John---No issue with me...

Frank

bigfly
01-27-2017, 08:37 AM
I didn't take a pic....but there were three 18-20" fish at a popular spot to fish. Near big T and Little T confluence.
There is a pretty good possibility that the were frosted while getting them photographed.......
Or just badly handled.....either way.....
There haven't been that many fishers out on the water, so they should know who they are.....and lucky I don't.....
Please keep them in the water while releasing/photos....water is 34 deg. and air is 4 deg......
We try hard to take care of our fishery, but whoever killed those fish, isn't............not sure if it was a guide trip or a newer local fish hero.
Ego/photos are not worth fish!

Thanks....

Jim

Mr T
01-27-2017, 09:47 AM
I didn't take a pic....but there were three 18-20" fish at a popular spot to fish. Near big T and Little T confluence.
There is a pretty good possibility that the were frosted while getting them photographed.......
There haven't been that many fishers out on the water, so they should know who they are.....and lucky I don't.....
Please keep them in the water while releasing/photos....water is 34 deg. and air is 4 deg......
We try hard to take care of our fishery, but whoever killed those fish, isn't............not sure if it was a guide trip or a newer local fish hero.

Thanks....

Jim

That's very sad to hear.

I'm gonna be headed to Reno for work next week, will be looking to get a few hours somehow- IF I land a fish, I"ll be sure to not remove from water.

JasonB
01-27-2017, 10:35 AM

Thanks....

Jim

That sucks Jim,
I can feel the anger and frustration between the lines here, and I concur completely. Let's just hope that whoever is responsible might learn a bit. We all do start somewhere, and I know I made a few clumsy mistakes here and there in my earliest days fishing. Thankfully ego driven photos have never really been one of my "things", hopefully in the coming years it will become the new norm to handle fish with a bit more thought and consideration. Hopefully more photos will begin to reflect and impact that trend...
JB

bigfly
01-27-2017, 10:44 AM
We all learn over time, how to be the best we can be.
Taking care of fish is an extension of that.
Thinking of the other, instead of ourselves....
I would rather not get a pic, than kill a fish.....
No need to read between the lines on this....my buddy and I were pissed.
I posted in case the fisher would read and learn....they may have thought they did a good job.
Just because they swim away, doesn't mean they will live.
If we treat them nice they will get bigger........

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac260/Bigfly1/Fishy%20friends/20170126_1458301.jpg (http://s905.photobucket.com/user/Bigfly1/media/Fishy%20friends/20170126_1458301.jpg.html)

Like this...and bigger.....

Jim

Ralph
01-27-2017, 12:42 PM
Would it give you guys heartburn if I put the boulders back? We are talking an extra 50 yards walking, tops.
Thanks
John
I can't imagine any rational person would complain about the boulders being rolled back into place. Of course there are some rather irrational folks who will argue that this is a "taking" of their right to drive down to the river. Don't ask me how I know!

cdevine
01-27-2017, 01:08 PM

Thanks....

Jim

That sucks. Wonder if it was just ignorance? I know this problem can arise more on places like the Upper Owens where air temps can get wickedly cold. Haven't heard of the issue much on the T. I often fish by myself so most of my pics are with the fish in the water with one hand or in the net in the water. And to be honest my wife and kids stopped caring how many fish pics I had so unless its something special I usually just pass on the pics now. So much for C&R.

bigfly
01-29-2017, 12:27 AM
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac260/Bigfly1/20170214_131109_1.jpg (http://s905.photobucket.com/user/Bigfly1/media/20170214_131109_1.jpg.html)

Now back to a report...
Please just let it ride, and I'll update..
And thanks for the likes......

Edit 03/15/2017
A current locals report.....I get over 250 days a year on the water....so I can come pretty close.....

The sun is out! Or, mostly out.....
Feels like we have almost turned the corner on winter.
To me it's official when nights are no longer below freezing....we are still freezing at night barely.....
Skwallas are getting very active....
Flocks of Geese are Passing over at dawn, going north.
Locals are running around in shorts!
All are solid signs of coming spring.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ca/nwis/uv/?site_no=10344505&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060
These warm days are having a big effect on snow pack. Up to 6" of snow melt a day.
Flows are coming up every day, then dropping back a little by morning.
Mid- day seems fishiest
The fish adjust, and you must too.....
I hooked a nice rainbow on my second drift...about 10ft away. Less than my 11ft rod length...
Don't focus on the middle flows...fish the edge.
On the T a good drift is as important as fly choice.

Flows are 400+ cfs near town....1200+ down lower....water temps around 4odeg. color is good with a slight hint of tan.
Much is melting out near river bank.
Some fluff, on solid>>> breakable crust (depending on weight class), and depending on aspect and temps.
Glennshire is/was/will be packed out...Hirschdale has some parking, just be ready for bigger water.....I recommend a switch rod...
A shorter stick will work....it's just more work to do same tasks.

Winter menu is still in effect.....for a while yet.
Baetis nymphs, or an adult......been seeing BWOs in the mid afternoon....woohoo!
Lots of Little winter stone...
Midges are the mainstay in winter. And they still work, but fish are feeling opportunistic....
Fish a pupa, emerger, or an adult....floating or not....some clumps late PM.
Higher flows stir up goodies, like annelids, and crustaceans......

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac260/Bigfly1/92D9060C-1.jpg (http://s905.photobucket.com/user/Bigfly1/media/92D9060C-1.jpg.html)
It's spring at Glennshire anyway.

The breaking news.....we are seeing many adult Skwalla....
Start keeping an eye out for a big riser near shore, and have an adult tied on.
I often find my fish by listening for the gulp.

The takes are soft but quick. Set on everything, but not like a salty dog...just fast and light.
I should add...they haven't forgotten how to get away...
Heavier leaders are a good idea if fishing the flood....fish eddies and slow water near shore.....

But, like I always say, they can't leave the water, or quit eating......
Treat'em nice

Jim