PDA

View Full Version : Lauai , HI

koffler
01-10-2017, 09:30 PM
Hello forum,

Apologies title was supposed to be Kauai, anyfeedback appreciated.

Does anyone have any experience or takeaways from fishing Kauai? We will be in Princeville for two weeks early summer. Thanks-

Jason

ryeflyguy
01-11-2017, 11:34 AM
Hi Jason,

I recommend you PM member name mems (Don Memmer), he lives on Big Island and gave me a lot of good tips for fishing on Kauai.

Have a great trip!

mems
01-11-2017, 02:32 PM
Aloha Jason, Kauai is great for fly fishing. There are trout up at kokee, stocked rainbows. The season opens on father's day. You can catch smallmouth and peacock bass in the resevoirs and you can bone fish at places like annini beach, close to princeville. Off shore should be good for mahi and ahi at that time as well. Lots of beaches and you can always find a papio or two cruising a beach in hawaii. Let me know if you need more advise, Mems.

koffler
01-12-2017, 12:48 PM
Thank you both for the feedback!!!

Mems - I am going to send a message with a couple other miscellaneous questions, thanks again for the help.

Jason

Dustin Rocksvold
01-13-2017, 01:27 PM
I too am heading to Hawaii. We will be visiting Maui and Kauai in March and I was debating taking the long rod along with me.
Any suggestions on flies Mems?

mems
01-13-2017, 03:36 PM
Hawaii flies, generally are smaller than other saltwater destinations. I like shrimp patterns in 06. Seems to be the perfect size, doesn't scare fish and the hook will land a 10lb bone. General rule of thumb is to match the color of the bottom, ie white on white sand. We don't have too much white sand, but there are some places so my favorite for them is a bunny gotcha. For broken areas I like tan or pearl with some green. We have some opae, small shrimp that are brown and some that are green. We also have a pink coral shrimp so pink is another good color. Orange works well as orange signifies an egg sack on the female shrimp. These same general rules also work other places like Christmas Island.
For trevally, cuda, queen fish and lady fish the speed of retrieve is most important. I like gummy minnows and small clousers. If it is summer and the oama, baby goat fish are in then I like yellow over white clousers. I made my own oama fly that you can get from Rainy's flies. If you go on line you can see all the flies I use. Any one with "Don" on them are my flies.
Here on the Big Island I like all black clousers with red eyes. It looks like the jumping jacks we have in the tide pools. Trevally and especially moi love those flies. For trevally strip fast and if you get a follow speed up, no bait fish ever died of a heart attack, don't stop the retrieve, speed up. Believe me if you piss off a trevally they will want it more.
If and when you come I would suggest a day with a guide and then try and DIY. That will really help you as how and where to fish. Hawaii is tough, but that is what makes it fun. Good luck, let me know if you need more help. Mems.

steveg137
01-17-2017, 09:42 PM
Hey Don I'm heading there in feb. baby moon trip but plan to do a little fishing. Any guides you can recommend ?

Thanks
Steve

mems
01-18-2017, 11:03 AM
Hey Steve, what island will you be on?

steveg137
01-18-2017, 11:47 PM
Hey Don Kauai thanks

mems
01-19-2017, 12:32 AM
Kauai guides, Rob Aritta and Nigel. Nigel is a friend of Louie the fish and I don't have his number. I don't have the number for Rob either, but you can google him. If you can't get him let me know and I can find his number for you. I haven't fished with either one, but I know they can both put you on fish, Don.

mems
01-19-2017, 11:10 AM
Hey Steve, here is Rob's webpage http://www.bonefishkauai.com/

Dustin Rocksvold
01-19-2017, 09:06 PM
I think Nigel can be reached through http://www.flyfishkauai.com/.

Thanks for the fly info Don.

steveg137
01-19-2017, 10:50 PM
Thanks Don !!!

roywest
01-20-2017, 08:22 PM
I fished for bonefish for the first time with Ron two summers ago on the north shore of Kauai. He was a charming man and for me, a superb guide. For a beginner like me, simply seeing the fish as they came into the flats was a challenge. Ron helped me see the fish and understand how to cast to them. I'd never caught fish that ran like a motorcycle before -- utterly delightful (no disrespect to steelhead!). I hope to get back to Kauai one day and hope to get Ron to help me out again.

Gremmie41
02-12-2017, 01:20 PM
Kauai guides, Rob Aritta and Nigel. Nigel is a friend of Louie the fish and I don't have his number. I don't have the number for Rob either, but you can google him. If you can't get him let me know and I can find his number for you. I haven't fished with either one, but I know they can both put you on fish, Don.

ALOHA!
Best bet is, go to Nervous Waters Fly Fishers Honolulu website. They've been around since '99, I think.
Sean or Dru can help you with everything.