PDA

View Full Version : Spey Practice On The Lower Sac

rshort
01-05-2017, 07:44 AM
Good Morning,

I have reached out to Bill for this information as well.

However, I am on my way to the Lower Sacramento River, some place south of Sacramento. I live in Salinas, so it will be a couple hours before I get there.

Today is my only chance to practice Spey casting. I know how to Spey cast, I need to brush up before a trip in a few weeks. Any ideas for a place to practice that I would avoid being in the wrong place would be greatly appreciated. The local rivers here in the Monterey Bay area are pretty much a no go due to gates, fences and the such.

I will not be practicing with a fly, just a piece of yarn.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Have a great day!

Ron

Mr T
01-05-2017, 08:06 AM
Maybe the posse grounds? Not sure if water levels allow it but I have seen people practicing there.

rshort
01-05-2017, 09:26 AM
Thanks,

That is,up at Redding I think. I am not going past thd,city of Sacramento.

Mark Kranhold
01-05-2017, 09:55 AM
Boat ramps , MILLER park or the one on the American directly under the green bridge that takes you into discovery park. Heck any boat ramp launching area as long as there's not a back Eddy cove. I know they don't allow fishing from the boat ramps but I doubt many boats will be running the rivers right now and they don't really patrol much this time of the year. You're just throwing yarn to practice. Where are you off to fish on your trip?

rshort
01-05-2017, 10:25 AM
Mornin Mark,

Thanks!

I am headed to the Rio Grande, Argentina. Staying at the Estancia Behety Lodge

rshort
01-05-2017, 07:17 PM
Thanks Bill for putting my request "out" there! Thanks to all who replied either here, PM or phone call. I had a great day on the American River across from Harrington Access.

Yes, the water was rising while I was there. Came up about 8 inches in the 2 1/2 hours I was there.

Take Care,

Ron

luckydude
01-05-2017, 09:12 PM
If you just need some water, what about just going to Lexington off 17? I don't know how to spey cast (would like to learn) but does it require moving water?

Bkane
01-06-2017, 12:13 AM
Practice river right to left with wind from the right, 80% of the time. Don't miss the last 45 minutes of the day.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-06-2017, 12:21 AM
The late Mel Krieger told me he liked to fish early and late in the day hoping for lower wind in Argentina for Sea-run Brown trout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnSnaDw2ISs

rshort
01-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Hi,

A little current helps extend (straighten out) the shooting head and sink tip down stream. Spey casting is pretty easy. It DOES however require practice. I hope you look into Spey casting. Bill at Kiene's Fly shop can set you up.

rshort
01-06-2017, 01:10 PM
Indeed!

Never miss ANYTIME on the water! :)

rshort
01-06-2017, 01:11 PM
Good Call!

Mr T
01-06-2017, 08:52 PM
Maybe the posse grounds? Not sure if water levels allow it but I have seen people practicing there.

Sorry about the mixup- i see lower sac and I think Redding!

Mark Kranhold
01-06-2017, 09:58 PM
Might be able to practice in my creek this weekend, should be flowing well considering the 3.68" of rain there calling for on Sunday:eek: Even 34 mph gusts ,you'll feel like your streamside on the Rio grande :cool: Ron, good luck and have a safe and wonderful trip! So jealous...