PDA

View Full Version : Grand Tetons - winter

steveg137
12-24-2016, 03:37 PM
Anyone fished this area in late jan early feb?

I have chance for long weekend.

Thanks
Steve

Idadon
12-24-2016, 03:59 PM
Lots of hard water up here right now but occasionally a warmer day will slide in and it's doable if you can find open water. I mostly stick with the Henrys Fork below Ashton Dam. I've never fished the South Fork over by Jackson in the winter. The few times I've crossed the Teton in the winter it's been pretty much froze over.

Good luck!

James W
12-24-2016, 10:22 PM
My experience with the Tetons in January was an epic 7 day long dump of snow. Awesome for skiing (my reason for being there) but not so good for any and everything else.
I'd recommend caution. Mother Nature up there isn't to be trifled with.

steveg137
12-27-2016, 09:02 AM
Thanks guys appreciate the info

aaron
12-28-2016, 03:30 PM
We just had our snowiest (and coldest) December in 20 or so years here in the Teets. Closest good winter opportunities would be midge fishing on the Madison or the Lost River Drainage over by Sun Valley. Most nights have been below zero of late, it was -10 on the hill this morning. It's not unusual to have a January Thaw but I wouldn't count on it the way things are going thus far.

Bring the skis or go take a sleigh ride through the Elk Refuge or a sled ride to Granite Hot Springs if on the Jackson Side. Feel free to PM me if you do end up out here.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/astiny4/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsozb01kj2.jpeg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/astiny4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsozb01kj2.jpeg.html)

Idadon
12-28-2016, 06:04 PM
Aaron's advise is on point. I fished winters in the area for years but only because I was stuck here all winter and sometimes I just got desperate. Now I head west or south for winter. On that rare day when it warms up above freezing it's doable. But as stated it can be hazardous to a guy's health if you aren't prepared for the cold. Skiing, snowmobiling or sitting by a nice fire are all better choices.

steveg137
12-29-2016, 07:12 PM
Thanks guys.
Had some great days sun valley way in winter on big lost below Mackay.
Will hold Jackson for later in year.