PDA

View Full Version : Truckee's smaller brother

cdevine
12-17-2016, 06:51 PM
Got a chance to fish the LT right after the monsoons we had. Ran into a local and that was it. The LT was running around 80 CFS which was perfect and slightly milky/green color which made the fisherman have a little advantage. I normally will go 6x out there but these conditions you could go 5x no problem. Low flows and clear water on this Tailwater make for a tough day. (at least for me) The big T was ice chocolate milk which made for good observing but not fishing.

Baetis, worms, midges, and some flash seemed to do the trick. Didn't see any heads rolling which sort of surprised me. Oh well. I got one nice slab to the net.

As for the rain/snow it looks like eastern sierra did pretty well.
Last 7 days.
Kirkwood 36 inches
Mammoth 59 inches
But most of the western slope was rain. I think up top Donner got a foot or so but nothing great. Rain in the buckets.

Drove by Nimbus and that is pretty spectacular seeing 35k cfs.

bigfly
12-18-2016, 11:07 AM
Current conditions, it's at 30cfs.
Which is too low for the fishery, and me.....
Recommend waiting till 80cfs. Check USGS flows before you leave home......

Jim

cdevine
12-18-2016, 03:43 PM
Agreed. I would say I look at flows 2-3x a day if not more on Dreamflows, Fishhead APP, and USGS. Anybody who is serious does that same thing. I fished it when it was 80 and falling. It peaked around 100 on Dec 14th. My cutoff is about that range. 30 is way to low.

The big T is coming down and should be below 1000 this week if not already. Good conditions all week. Def a solid option. Pretty sweet having water flowing and i think we will have it all winter.

Morgan
12-20-2016, 07:49 AM
Water all winter isnt the issue. Its is snow that we are lacking. If this rain doesnt turn into snow we are going to have a really tuff summer for water and temps. It seems like it doesnt snow in town anymore.

cdevine
12-20-2016, 09:28 AM
Morgan

Its been a bummer. Driving over the summit and not seeing that 5 foot wall at this point is scary. Looks like Friday-Saturday the forecast is some decent snow. We shall see. We do need a couple feet at lake level right now. I'm still optimistic. My camp is growing smaller though.