PDA

View Full Version : The Last Steelhead Trip of 2016;

Ard
12-10-2016, 10:39 AM
Hi Everyone,

A while back I contacted Bill regarding the size limits for posts here on the forum. It seems that I have a hard time saying or showing anything without exceeding limits of most websites so........... He told me to link articles that are just too large to be hosted here.

Now why would I go to the trouble to explain that before posting a link? Simple, forums thrive from discussion and content, links aren't big contributors to either. But if there's something you want to share sometimes a link is the only way to go. I've grown a little gunshy of starting discussions regarding my methods and techniques because they are pretty outside the box but if folks are interested in discussing how to get more "into their fishing" I'll give it a go. I'll post up a new thread in a little while about lines, leaders and control just to test the water.

For now, this is the story of the last day fishing of 2016, it's 6 degrees here at home now and I still have a bit of frostbite from last month so I'm staying here.

Link > http://akflyfishingguide.com/going-to-a-very-cold-place-2016/

I'll figure out what to say to start a discussion on tactics and post soon.

Ard

Larry S
12-10-2016, 11:19 AM
Ard,
Link doesn't seem to work for me. Here's a link to a good read; maybe the same trip?
-
http://akflyfishingguide.com/going-to-a-very-cold-place-2016/

Heading up to fish the Upper Owens for a few days tomorrow. Cold, but not your
kind of cold!
Best,
Larry S

Ard
12-10-2016, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the heads up Larry, I tried using the Link tool when I did that so the post didn't have my actual URL in it. Doh!

You gotta love the bright Yellow Chevy though huh? I'm just a slave to fashion I guess :)

I do hope to hear about what happens and I'm whishing you a successful trip buddy!

lee s.
12-10-2016, 11:59 AM
GREAT read Ard!
Having experienced the nuisance of "stuck" lines in single digit temps, you may have convinced me there might be certain benefits to a "splash pole". ;-)
....lee s.

pvsprme
12-14-2016, 12:12 PM
Great read, in my 10 years on the Kenai I experienced a few of those days, never in a boat. Steelhead are pretty elusive there, I used to fish the lower Peninsula streams. That has to be the Kenai. We always argued about whether the Kenai had Steelhead, a friend who had set net sites that picked up Kenai river fish said he always got a few towards the end of the season, late August IIRC. Hope to be up there in 2018, I'll look you up; the Tal trips have always intrigued me.

Ard
12-14-2016, 02:25 PM
Hi Robert,

I may not be doing commercial trips by 2018 but will still have the website and would be happy to take you fishing. I'll never tell where I fish even if thousands may already fish the same river, old school I guess. I think it's safe to say that steelhead can turn up almost anywhere here. I find a few deep in the river drainages where I live and fish all the time. I've never paid close attention to getting photographs to document them but I know what I saw out there.

For instance, this one was suspect;
http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg406/Hardyreels/The%20Fish/Tal%20Trip0434_zpszuf9yr2j.jpg (http://s542.photobucket.com/user/Hardyreels/media/The%20Fish/Tal%20Trip0434_zpszuf9yr2j.jpg.html)

Whether or not fish are genetically conforming to the standard of steelhead it is curious how when a good push of silver salmon show up there are always some very large trout with the fresh fish. The one pictured was not he but I've seen fish that were unmistakably large sea run trout if not steelhead they sure look the part.

The best time and chance to find them near home is right after ice out. I've made many trips that brought nothing to the fly but I go every year in hope of getting to them before the guides start taking king fishermen. Two years ago I saw a trout caught and then killed by one of the meat boats that was an easy 29 inches. It was with a pack of silvers and I know it was a steelhead. I also know the guide who had those people out on the river and suspect he had no idea what that fish was.

I've never had anyone even ask about killing a fish let alone a trout of any stripe. I take sockeye filets along on extended trips so the folks get fresh salmon while we're out there but I don't kill them.

I'm already looking forward to next fall, even shopping for another (smaller) boat for fall use.

pvsprme
12-15-2016, 08:27 AM
I agree Ard; A friend who guides the KP rivers has been pretty consistently finding Steel on a river that's not known for them. They come in late, as you said with and after the Silvers, probably later also but the ice pretty much stops the fishery. It's been said that in rivers with outlet to saltwater any rainbow can become a Steelhead.
I fished Montana Creek last June with my Grandson, first time ever in than system. While we didn't have a lot of time, it was a nice alternative to the crowds of the KP. Reminded me of the upper Ninilchick where we used to hike up and get some very nice fish; called them Rainbows at the time but could have been (likely were) Steelhead.
Just might take you up on the trip, I committed to taking Grandson #2 in 2018 as he was not happy he didn't get to make the 2016 trip.
Thanks for the great report, I'll have to look up those boats; a Kayak with a Jet, who'd a thunk it?

Ard
12-15-2016, 09:31 AM
There are some in all those creeks down that way Robert, unfortunately there are also plenty of people too. I've been told that I am wrong about social media and people with loose lips but there are few other explanations. I have made over 1700 posts and written many articles on forums and E- magazines and somehow never mentioned a river I fished in by name............ Old school is my only excuse :)

BTW, my fingertips are almost completely healed from that trip. I didn't expect frostbite but maybe my tolerance is reduced. About 7 years ago I had spent almost 3 months at the cabin over the winter and there came a day when I had to leave. The day was -34 degrees at the cabin which is situated 75 miles off road. The only way in during winter is snowmachine or aircraft. So I left, headed for Willow and only 14 miles into it the grip heaters stopped working on the old Yamaha. I kept going because replacing a burned out rheostat at -34 without parts wasn't possible.

When I arrived in Willow the temp was -37 there and the fun was just getting started. My truck was literally frozen and starting was out of the question. With help, a generator, a turbo heater and some duct work we thawed the oil pan and got the truck started. By the time I got home I had some serious frostbite on both hands. Bad enough that all fingertips eventually turned black and eventually all the skin came off the tips and they regenerated themselves.

Compared to that this day of fishing was a chip shot and I was surprised that after a few days I noticed the tips of my fingers were without feeling. They are nearly back to normal again but I will learn to fish with heavy gloves on next year. I use a pair of fingerless wool that I bought in Woolrich PA. back when they still made wool gloves there. Great quality and have lasted nearly 37 years now but I need real protection if I plan to repeat.

Ard
12-15-2016, 11:50 AM
I'd put some stories about winter experiences on this thread but there are size limitations when posting. I don't want you guys to think I'm some dumas that is just one trip away from becoming a statistic here because I've come up to speed quickly. These past 3 winters have been very warm so they have presented different challenges. Challenges like not breaking through the ice while driving to the cabin and stuff like that.

We have new snowmachines now and I run freight for myself and some friends who also have remote properties. Below is a photo from a freight run.

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg406/Hardyreels/Cabin/Cabin0713_zpshslpimhe.jpg (http://s542.photobucket.com/user/Hardyreels/media/Cabin/Cabin0713_zpshslpimhe.jpg.html)

That is one last drum of fuel that was still undelivered to a neighbor out there. When I left for the cabin I had 3 other drums and lumber on the sled as well as an insulated dog crate with my 88 pound German Shepherd on board. I seldom pull more than 1500 to 2000 pounds and often lighter after all the fuel is out there. I take about 320 gallons of gas out for use in my boat during the coming summer and fall every winter. A boat burns a lot of fuel battling strong currents for 75 miles.

johnsquires
12-16-2016, 09:07 AM
Thanks, Ard, for the stories and pictures - and please keep them coming.

Ard
12-16-2016, 02:59 PM
I will John, I just have to figure out the proper content size so I don't load too much at once. For really long stuff I may link to articles already published. I prefer to build content on a site where I've been welcomed like this one but sometimes size matters. :)

Mr T
12-16-2016, 04:29 PM
Great read- keep em coming, and thanks for the reminder that I'm not tough enough to take that kind of cold!

Larry S
12-16-2016, 05:48 PM
Ard (hardyreels) is such a great addition to the Kiene site. Google his name and read his site blogs.
Best,
Larry S, from Sun Diego where we had 2" inches of rain. Halleluah!

Ard
12-24-2016, 01:32 PM
Larry,

Thanks for being an Ard booster :) I hope you get just the right amount of rainfall for the rest of your life buddy. Not too much not too little, full channels and very little color.

Merry Christmas, happy Holiday's and have a wonderful 2017

Ard