PDA

View Full Version : Trinity River reports??

Sheepdog8404
12-02-2016, 11:37 AM
Been itching to head up north but it has sounded like this season started out very slow on the Trinity. Hoping to hear that things have improved up there as the season has progressed. Anyone having any or better luck up there?

yubaman
12-02-2016, 01:39 PM
From what I have heard firsthand, still very slow up there. Sounds like it will be a low fish count year. There are still fish to be had, but expectations are lower than past years on the Trinity.

goby
12-02-2016, 05:59 PM
I spoke to a guide today in the supermarket parking lot. 4 fish, all caught in the canyon (between Douglas City and Junction City). His client had a huge smile on his face.

I caught 2 my first day out a couple weeks ago, then didn't catch any the following weekend. Both times I fished in Lewiston, and I think I may have been a little early for Lewiston. I think they're still in Junction City.

Mark Kranhold
12-02-2016, 09:56 PM
It's steelheadin! Forget numbers, it's all about beauty ,solitude & sanity! Stick and move, hope for a tug! All in all what a great day!

pvsprme
12-03-2016, 08:54 AM
Better but still make you earn them. My trip up there November 6-10th earned me 4 fish for 5 days. 3 fish were hatchery@ 24-25", the 4th was a wild 20" (+/-) fish that fought like he was much bigger. All on the swing. Was disappointed in that despite perfect water conditions (51-52 degrees) and a few October Caddis still hanging around I couldn't get any love on top.

Digger
12-05-2016, 08:02 PM
if you have plans up there this week, best to think again
The weather models show a considerable plume of moisture from Hawaii into Northern California
timing is sometime around Thursday into friday
kind of a warm storm since it originates near Hawaii, so snow levels will be high to start
i'd imagine most rivers will be blown for a few days or a week after this one.

hwchubb
12-07-2016, 06:41 PM
We were up there just prior to. Thanksgiving, my son and I got 1 half pounder in 2 1/2 days, then the last 20 minutes of the trip gave up a 7# hatchery hen, 16" brown and a 10# (one of my best Trinity fish) wild buck, all on the swing. Got 45 minutes yesterday on the same run and got another 7# hen.

Bragging masquerading as a report notwithstanding, it has been a very slow season so far. Salmon and steelhead counts are extremely low, and it's been hit and miss. Kind of like real steelheading! Snowing heavily in Yreka at the moment, so the weather is setting in.