PDA

View Full Version : I would like all the assistance I can get to selling Rods and Reels

Glenda
11-17-2016, 11:24 AM
Some people collect guitars, stamps, coins, or tea pots. My husband's passion was fly fishing and English Setters. He unexpectedly passed away the middle of October. I will keep material I have for me but it is apparent he had way too much impressive fly fishing material. As much as it pains me to part with this I know he would want someone to cherish these rods, reels, catalogs and fly tying equipment as much as he did and I hate to have it sitting in his workshop getting no use. I am not the expert and am hoping someone can help me as I plow through this difficult challenge.

He had several pristine--never fished Scott Rods, Winston Rods and Orvis Rods. Most seem to never have been used--are in mint condition and I am in the process of taking photos. How do I determine a fair price for these first two?

Scott Powr Ply 8'8" 2 line 2.2 ounce rod..it is a three piece and has these numbers on it: G-882-L21-17241 and comes with the tube and sleeve

The second one is a Scott 8'8" 2 line 2.5 ounce with number G-88213-38793 on it. Again, sleeve and tube included. These are just the first of about 20 rods I have to catalog.

I haven't even started looking at the reels yet..and apparently he has boxes of collectors catalogs as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark Kranhold
11-17-2016, 12:13 PM
I am so sorry for your loss, very sad! It sounds like he had quite the collection. I think Bill Kiene would be a good start he's been in the industry for many many years and think he could help you with this very well. I am sending you a private message and once again, so sorry for your loss! Mark

Paul B.
11-17-2016, 03:37 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss too, I'd suggest eBay after the hollidays. From then through May is the best time for selling.
Three to four hundred each for those two. Market jumps around a bit but both desirable rods.

mems
11-17-2016, 03:50 PM
Sorry to hear about your husband's passing. Doesn't he have some fishing buddies who can help you out? Maybe donate unsold items to a local fishing club. If you post quality products here with reasonable prices I am sure they will sell. Good luck, Mems

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-17-2016, 09:10 PM
Hi Glenda

I would say that some of those nicer rods would sell for about $300 or even more to the right person.

I have the best luck putting one rod or one reel up on our Classifieds at a time.

Good photos would help....

You can always start a little higher and see what happens.

Jim Adams of Adams Angling in Berkeley, CA could sell all of your rods and reels for top dollar to collectors he knows for a commission. The un-fished Scott and Winston rods could bring top dollar to the right person.

http://www.adamsanglingbooks.com/

NVswitch
11-18-2016, 05:00 PM
Hi Glenda, I am so sorry for your loss. I am looking for a 9 foot 10 wt. 4 piece fly rod. I may be interested if you have one like that.
Let me know. Sorry again. Mike D.

njbeast
11-18-2016, 07:08 PM
Glenda,
I am sorry for your loss. Words can't possibly mend your soul but you were lucky to have such love in your life. Those who responded are truly good men. You can trust their judgement. I agree with Bill. If you take several good photos of a rod and post them here one at a time I am sure you will receive a fair price. Good luck.

flyfshrmn
11-22-2016, 06:27 PM
Hi Glenda,

I'm sure this is a difficult time for you. I sometimes speculate on what will happen to all the stuff that I've accumulated over the years for flyfishing and fly tying. One can only hope it will go to others who appreciate it's worth as well as the value it had to the previous owner. When you get to it, I would be interested in looking at any fly tying materials and tools. this forum is an excellent place to post such items and it's usually a lot less hassle than Ebay. You are already dealing with knowledgeable, interested people who understand the merchandise and who will cherish it if they do purchase it.

My sincerest sympathies,

bg

mtnhiker85
11-29-2016, 12:39 AM
Sorry for your loss. I too wonder what will happen to my collections when its time for me to move on to a better place. I have collected Powell, Scott and Winstons along with early Orvis graphite rods for some time now. Also some early T&T rods. This site would be a good place to start. I would also like to talk about what tying materials you may want to sale as I have tied for a while now. I collect older catalogs also including Winston and T&T. Look forward to helping you when you decide to sale.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-29-2016, 06:56 AM
When we get old it might be better to sell all our gear our selves because spouses can really get overwhelmed dealing with all that.

Our Kiene's Classifieds has worked well for many.....

For real expensive collectible tackle I think an eBay auction could be best for getting top dollar.

I have had Jim Adams, Adams Angling in Berkeley, CA, sell some nicer stuff for me on consignment.

http://www.adamsanglingbooks.com/