PDA

View Full Version : Did You Lose a Rod and Reel Overboard at Fuller Lake?

JAWallace
11-13-2016, 09:15 PM
Someone did, and I snagged it today, and salvaged it. It doesn't look like it's been in the lake that long. If you dropped this nice outfit, please give me a description of the rod, reel, and line if you can remember and I'll get it to you.

Mark Kranhold
11-13-2016, 10:11 PM
Good on you

Tahoetrout
11-14-2016, 07:40 AM
Yes..fell off of float tube while rowing across lake. Its a Sage RPL+ 5 weight with Galvan reel and floating line.

JAWallace
11-14-2016, 08:43 AM
Yes..fell off of float tube while rowing across lake. Its a Sage RPL+ 5 weight with Galvan reel and floating line. OUCH. Wish for you I'd have recovered your nice setup, not a match, sorry.

JAWallace
11-14-2016, 10:22 AM
If nothing else is gained through this found notice, at least I've learned how to salvage a setup that's been soaking for awhile. Took the reel apart and cleaned and lubed. Took the line off and cleaned it. Reel is like new now. Ferrules were stuck, tried everything then found a tip of wrapping them in frozen vegetables for 10 minutes, and that finally worked. Now they have paraffin and are smooth. There's some moisture that got under the wrapping. Heat gun put to that helps, might take some time at room temp to dry. Hope we can find the owner.

Sheepdog8404
11-14-2016, 12:39 PM
Nice work, John. We need more folks like you!

JAWallace
11-17-2016, 11:25 AM
Last call. I've posted on the club site too and no responses with matches. I'll wait until the end of the month, then the equipment goes on the auction block or on here. If you know of anyone who might have lost their gear in Fuller Lake, please give them a heads up, thank you, and thank you for the nice comments. I'm sure most of us would attempt to find the owner as well.

Fly Right
11-17-2016, 03:20 PM
Honesty is a virtue!
BTW I am thinking about heading up to Fuller (weather permitting) in the next day or two. How is the fishing?

JAWallace
11-17-2016, 03:23 PM
My report is here (http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?38639-Fuller-Lake-Gates-Still-Open)

johnsquires
11-17-2016, 03:30 PM
I'm going to try that frozen-vegetable trick on some body parts and see if that helps.

MTaylor
11-18-2016, 10:15 AM
It is amazing how long our equipment will last underwater. A friend lost a rod I had built for him over the side of his float tube in 50-60' of water in a local mountain lake. Seven years later a Powerbait guy snagged it, read the name on the rod and returned it (Etna is a small place). The rod (Pacific Bay)was fine. All the wrappings were intact and undamaged. I replaced the handle and reel seat, wiped it down and the rod was good to go.
The reel, an Okuma Integrity, was also intact. I went through it and found 1 screw that had rusted out, nothing else was damaged or corroded. Replacement screw from Okuma was 28 cents. After a clean up and a little oil and grease the reel was good as new.

Alosa
11-18-2016, 12:37 PM
Last call. I've posted on the club site too and no responses with matches. I'll wait until the end of the month, then the equipment goes on the auction block or on here. If you know of anyone who might have lost their gear in Fuller Lake, please give them a heads up, thank you, and thank you for the nice comments. I'm sure most of us would attempt to find the owner as well.

Having you considered donating it to Project Healing Waters?