PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions how to build leader/tippet for steelhead/salmon??

yankeefanbob
11-05-2016, 02:10 PM
I just purchased my 1st 8wt. single hand rod/reel/ fly line for my trip up the coast in search of the mighty steelhead & salmon. I fished for these beauties in Alaska without sink tips back in the day, using a 5wt. with just heavy tippet w/floating line.

Getting a little more advanced in my present day I'll be attaching to the 8wt. floating line a 7ft. Rio Versileader sinking tapered leader.......

My question is how should I build my mono section?

Thanks for your suggestions,

Bob

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-05-2016, 03:25 PM
Rio VersiLeaders come in lots of sink rates.

For Steelhead don't use the Trout VersiLeaders with the 12# core.

Use the Freshwater or Spey with the 24# core.

Maybe buy the three fastest ones.

I believe all the Rio VersiLeasders have a little mono butt with a loop.

Take 5 feet of fresh Maxima UltraGreen 8# or 10# test tippet material.

Put a surgeons loop on one end and loop it to the VersiLeader.

Tie on you fly on the other end with you favorite knot.

Be sure to flatten or remove the barb completely.

*Cast, mend, swing and hang on.

__________________________________________________ __

Sinktips are used on longer rivers with riffles and runs.

Close to the ocean in the lakey "tide water" of the shorter rivers most use shooting heads in different sink rates with mono running line.

yankeefanbob
11-05-2016, 03:38 PM
Rio VersiLeaders come in lots of sink rates.

For Steelhead don't use the Trout VersiLeaders with the 12# core.

Use the Freshwater or Spey with the 24# core.

Maybe buy the three fastest ones.

I believe all the Rio VersiLeasders have a little mono butt with a loop.

Take 5 feet of fresh Maxima UltraGreen 8# or 10# test tippet material.

Put a surgeons loop on one end and loop it to the VersiLeader.

Tie on you fly on the other end with you favorite knot.

Be sure to flatten or remove the barb completely.

*Cast, mend, swing and hang on.

__________________________________________________ __

Sinktips are used on longer rivers with riffles and runs.

Close to the ocean in the lakey "tide water" of the shorter rivers most use shooting heads in different sink rates with mono running line.

Thank you Bill.......

Great info, I always fish barbless!!

Tight lines,
Bob

eastbayed
11-05-2016, 04:24 PM
I had the same notion a few years ago. The topic came up on this board. Here is the link:

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?29374-Looking-for-a-steelhead-leader-formula

You can also go to Google and do a search. I tried several until I came up with a formula I like. For steelhead I decided I didn't need a 9 foot leader and was satisfied with a 6 to 7 foot leader.

JasonB
11-05-2016, 08:28 PM
Really don't think you need to get too fancy or complicated if you're adding mono to a sinking tip, though you could put some consideration into what size fly, water clarity, etc. The main thing that concerns me by far the most is will it hold up to some potentially explosive fish. I've lost more fish than I care to admit due to break offs, so I tend to err on the side of #12 or even #15 if I feel I can get away with it (for coastal fishing which you mentioned), usually just run 2-5' off the end of whatever sinking tip/leader I have on. You may be putting in a lot of fruitless casts, and there plenty of factors that can conspire to send you home smelling of skunk, so I hate to take any chance on a hot fish breaking off due to light tippet. Double check those knots too ;-)
JB

Larry S
11-06-2016, 07:44 AM
yankeefanbob,
Lots of good advice here. Don't forget to fill out the steelhead/salmon card(s) before you wet a line. The first thing
a warden will often check is the barb on the fly. Consider purchasing the StreamTime maps for the rivers you
will be fishing. A great investment. Kiene's shop carries them.
Best,
Larry S

yankeefanbob
11-06-2016, 09:50 AM
Thank you ALL for the great and easy advise......

Barbless is the way to go!! A good % of my flies are purchased barbless, unfortunately I can't tie them anymore due to arthritis.

Cheers,
Bob