PDA

View Full Version : Fly line recommendations for Andros

fishnjim
10-19-2016, 09:32 AM
New fly fisherman fulfilling bucket list item to catch a bonefish on fly rod. I am going to Andros exactly one month from today, taking my son & son in law. I have rigged 3 fly rods, 8&9 wt TFO BVK and a custom made 8wt rod. What line(s) would you put on these rigs for very rookie fly fisherman? Thanks in advance!

JMorgan
10-19-2016, 12:26 PM
New fly fisherman fulfilling bucket list item to catch a bonefish on fly rod. I am going to Andros exactly one month from today, taking my son & son in law. I have rigged 3 fly rods, 8&9 wt TFO BVK and a custom made 8wt rod. What line(s) would you put on these rigs for very rookie fly fisherman? Thanks in advance!

I use all Airflo lines check on the reviews for their Bone fish line For more info: http://www.rajeffsports.com/tropical.php

mems
10-19-2016, 12:52 PM
Aloha fishing Jim, since you are bringing three rods, I would set them up for different conditions. You might want the 9wt for permit of tarpon. I would go with a floating tropical line like a bruce chard permit line with a larger head for windy conditions. For the 8wts you should have a no wind set up and a windy set up. What ever rod is more accurate, the BVK is a great bonefish rod. I would put a stealthy 8wt line on it for finicky fish. I use the cortland clear floating line so I don't spook the tailing bones. Another good stealthy line is the wulff triangle taper. In windy conditions you can overline, use a 9wt line, like a SA redfish line with a bigger head to punch the wind. I think it is better to cover the bases than to pick one type of fishing situation, no wind and be too redundant with that set up. For me I like a 6wt set up for smaller bones and no wind, but that is me. Good luck, I hope andros isn't too messed up after the hurricane. Mems.