PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hit the American Today?

Sheepdog8404
10-16-2016, 06:59 PM
Left home and it was pouring. Thought to myself: "I bet nobody will be out there in this weather"... boy was I wrong! The riffle I decided to fish had 31 salmon fishermen in it when I got there, probably over 40 when I left. They were killing it though! Lots and lots of salmon being caught. No Steelies for me though. I was the only fool out there with a spey rod. Hopefully I'll find a willing fish soon!

aggie9
10-16-2016, 09:39 PM
Tough weekend for me as well Gary, as you noted lots and lots of people on the river

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-16-2016, 10:28 PM
I am guessing we should be fishing down river more like from Gristmill access down stream to Watt Avenue?

How far down the river are the salmon guys?

STEELIES/26c3
10-16-2016, 11:01 PM
Not these days Bill....

Salmon flossers pretty much occupy every fast riffle between Sailor Bar and Paradise Beach.

Fish the deeper runs and/or accesses which require at least a 1 mile hike and do it in the middle of the day and you MAY have some solitude...

Chazbowski
10-17-2016, 06:58 PM
Lower Sunrise was quiet on Saturday when I was there. One other guy swinging and just a fat sucker for me.

NCFlycaster
10-17-2016, 07:49 PM
I was out there today swinging a fly at lower Sunrise. There were three drift boats in the area but no other guys like me on the shore. Never got a hook up but saw 40+ jumping in the water over three hours. Overall a nice day but it would have been better if I caught something!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-17-2016, 08:13 PM
Not these days Bill....

Salmon flossers pretty much occupy every fast riffle between Sailor Bar and Paradise Beach.

Fish the deeper runs and/or accesses which require at least a 1 mile hike and do it in the middle of the day and you MAY have some solitude...

Thanks Steelies......

Sierra D
10-18-2016, 10:37 AM
Are any flyfisherman targeting Chinook? Any recommendations for this? I might need to break out the big rod.

mogaru
10-18-2016, 03:30 PM
I've been trying several times but without success. I was there today at Sunrise from 7Am to 8:30. There were a bunch of salmon rolling and jumping but none interested in my flies. I think it's difficult to catch them on flies. From the info I collected on line, kings like big profile flies like intruders etc. I use my 12' 9" 8wt sage Z-axis

John Sv
10-18-2016, 04:29 PM
Not sure about the A, but on the Feather I have luck with small bright flies, like size 6 regular shank. Never had even a look with a big fly.