PDA

View Full Version : MT Transplant..Looking to fish N Yuba & lower Yuba in November....

Artsville
10-16-2016, 02:23 PM
Hey guys....

2nd weekend to be exact...taking daughter up to North Yuba on the saturday as she is beginning to fly fish. She has caught fish already and is really hooked on fly fishing but this was in Montana on a smaller blue ribbon stream. I haven't fished much in Cali so by my homework seems like North Yuba could be decent fishing for her. I am not sure we will go all the way up to Sierra City. Any thoughts on this idea?

Second day thought we would try our hands on the lower Yuba by the Hwy 20 bridge. I've read we can head down the Hammonton Rd? Is this legal as i don't want to trespass.

I expect to do a lot of nymphing....any ideas on this as well? Also are full waders necessary on either stream? Was hoping just to wade it in shorts if the weather holds out.

Anyway...it's totally awesome to have a forum that specializes in local streams....great idea!

art

PV_Premier
10-16-2016, 04:28 PM
Hey guys....

2nd weekend to be exact...taking daughter up to North Yuba on the saturday as she is beginning to fly fish. She has caught fish already and is really hooked on fly fishing but this was in Montana on a smaller blue ribbon stream. I haven't fished much in Cali so by my homework seems like North Yuba could be decent fishing for her. I am not sure we will go all the way up to Sierra City. Any thoughts on this idea?

Second day thought we would try our hands on the lower Yuba by the Hwy 20 bridge. I've read we can head down the Hammonton Rd? Is this legal as i don't want to trespass.

I expect to do a lot of nymphing....any ideas on this as well? Also are full waders necessary on either stream? Was hoping just to wade it in shorts if the weather holds out.

Anyway...it's totally awesome to have a forum that specializes in local streams....great idea!

art

The N Yuba will likely be done for the year by that time. Maybe in the lower reaches around 49 you'll be able to drum up a few fish. But the water really cools off quick up there pending weather of course.

Lower Yuba - yes you can drive down the road. 4wd is advised but not strictly required. High clearance is a must.

Personally I think you'll want waders unless we have an Indian summer weekend. It's surely possible to wet wade many days of the year on the lower Yuba. But it really depends on the weather.

The north Y is freestone, the lower Y is tailwater. The latter has a very stable water temp of 54-60 all year.

Be sure to have an egg pattern...i.e., a bead.

Artsville
10-16-2016, 10:07 PM
so any other suggestions...american or putah creek? I am open really....no preferences...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-16-2016, 10:25 PM
Maybe the Truckee River?

PV_Premier
10-17-2016, 06:46 AM
Putah can be very good at that time of year but it not an easy nut to crack. Depending on flows, wading can also be a bit dicey. As Bill notes the Truckee and LT can be good options, but the latter is very dependent on flow and they have it drawn down to almost nothing right now. If it isn't over ~75cfs please stay off the river and give the fish a break. Don't forget about the low flow section of the Feather...

JayDubP
10-18-2016, 04:04 PM
This may be redundant, but CA rivers are much more slippery than most Rocky Mountain rivers. So, be prepared with wading staff and felt or spikes.... even Lower Yuba and shallow water can be a challenge...... and as long as you are both prepared, the wading does not dominate a day on the river.

For the best info on the Yuba, look at websites of: Jon Baiocchi (http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/) and Lance Gray (http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com/)..

Good Luck and l look forward to some trip photos..

amoeba
10-25-2016, 04:58 PM
North yuba may have fish, best farther upstream. Please report if see October caddis there. Yuba access legal to south of sr20 but road ruff.

Artsville
10-26-2016, 09:46 AM
Think the North Stanislaus is a lost cause this late?