PDA

View Full Version : Surf Zone fun........

k.hanley
10-08-2016, 05:23 PM
My latest project with some striper action from this season...enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/186024204

Cheers, Ken

johnsquires
10-08-2016, 06:15 PM
That does look like fun.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-08-2016, 07:04 PM
Very inspiring Ken,

What are the best months?

What is the practical range of the Stripers on our coast?

I did hear that a youngster from Lawson's Landing has been catching them on lures around Dillon Beach wading the surf.

Maybe you need to do some on the water Surf Striper seminars over there?

Or maybe you could host an outing over there?

Larry S
10-09-2016, 06:46 AM
Awesome job, Ken.
Came across a dead striper on the beach in front of San Diego's Glider Port last Tuesday.
Schoolie size with most of the head missing. An occasional catch in this area;
we're anxiously awaiting the return of surf perch. Catching way more corbina
and spotfin than perch. Very strange!
Best to all,
Larry S
Sun Diego

k.hanley
10-09-2016, 03:32 PM
Thanks John......Fun for sure but it can get quite demanding with the environmental conditions. I'm still stoked by it though (even after almost 50 years of surf adventures).

Thanks Bill.......Your basic Delta outfits are perfect for this game. The heart of the population appears to still be Marin to Monterey, but they absolutely range from Oregon to San Diego. I've been retired from the "on-the-water" clinics and guiding for a while now.

Thanks Larry.......The perch game up here has also been sketchy at best. I hope it gets back to being a prime game. Beans and fins are sure a nice game to have in your neck-o-the-woods.

Thanks CM.........The Surf Zone is certainly not for everyone. In fact, it probably isn't fun for most flyfishers who try it. Personally I think it's a tremendous place to be with a flyrod (I know, I know, call me crazy).

Cheers, Ken

Terry Thomas
10-09-2016, 05:01 PM
Ken,
I'm always impressed with your productions, however, I must say this has to be one of the best! Keep them coming buddy.
Terry

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-09-2016, 05:14 PM
Ken,

Anyone guiding / teaching this while wading?

steveg137
10-09-2016, 06:58 PM
Would love guided trip or clinic for this. Bill please ?! :)

Larry S
10-09-2016, 08:52 PM
Bill,
Loren Elliott was guiding for striper in the surf a few years back. Think he moved to the east coast.
Haven't seen a post from him in recent years.
Best,
Larry S

tascaso
10-10-2016, 07:21 AM
Loren is pursuing a career as a professional photographer and you can see his work on Instagram. Great photographer and great guide. He got me hooked on the surf zone fishing and I caught my first perch with him.

k.hanley
10-10-2016, 08:00 AM
Thank you Terry............I love doing these projects. Each one has it's own flavor. Still tons for me to learn in the creation and production of short subject videos.

Bill........I don't know anyone currently that guides our surf in NorCal (I could certainly be wrong though). SoCal does have a few active guides however.

Cheers, Ken

kokaneejr
10-16-2016, 07:57 AM
Thanks Ken and it was great to see Mark on there as well. He taught me so much when I wanted to get started. If he ever went into guiding or teaching he could make a mint!! One of the nicest guys and best surf fisherman ever!!

k.hanley
10-17-2016, 11:09 AM
You are welcome Jr. Mark and I have fished the zone together for the past 24 years. He is "the real deal" no doubt about it.

It was only a matter of time before we made the video. We talked about it enough, then finally decided to act upon it this season. Fun collaboration.

Glad you enjoyed it.
Cheers, Ken

DLJeff
10-17-2016, 12:47 PM
Ed Story used to tell me stories of when he was out in the Bay Area. He'd go down below the Charthouse at extreme low tides and map the structure. He'd triangulate to landmarks on shore. Then he'd go back on high tides and low surf and fish that structure. The stripers would hold briefly in the holes, trenches, and pockets. Ed also had the last official fur seal license for California. He had it hanging on the wall of his little shop in St Louis.

k.hanley
10-18-2016, 06:38 AM
Thanks DL. Ed Story has a unique place in California hunting history that's for sure.

Cheers, Ken