https://youtu.be/qnsiXTp-duw

https://youtu.be/Iu9ahfCbzvc

https://youtu.be/aGGVJa0oaSk

BenFishin
09-28-2016, 09:15 AM
nice!! but I think you should call them by their name....poledancers

Darian
09-28-2016, 10:16 AM
The silhouette does look like a Pole Dancer but we're not close enough to tell what it looks like out of the water. Since the action of the bug/fly is the "walk the dog" of a Pole Dancer or Zara Spook, calling it a Spook Fly doesn't seem out of line to me. By either name it's gonna catch some fish. :cool:

BenFishin
09-28-2016, 10:52 AM
The silhouette does look like a Pole Dancer but we're not close enough to tell what it looks like out of the water. Since the action of the bug/fly is the "walk the dog" of a Pole Dancer or Zara Spook, calling it a Spook Fly doesn't seem out of line to me. By either name it's gonna catch some fish. :cool:

it's based on the poledancer, he said it himself in one of his original post

changing the color and tweaking a fly slightly doesn't make it an original....we should always give credit where it's due

cutwrk2fish
09-28-2016, 11:39 AM
I'm very sorry to hear you have taken such offense to my post. I was just sharing a fly I had redesign and was sharing. I can tell you that I would have never redesigned the fly if it wasn't for the inventor and by no way shape or form am I anywhere in my email stating anything other than wanting peoples opinion on HOW THE FLY WORKS AND IF IT NEEDS MORE TWEEKING :). personally I would love to meet the inventor to shake his hand and tell him thank you for his vision on the fly and what he produced. :)

cutwrk2fish
09-28-2016, 01:00 PM
Thank you for the compliment, I guess I should have not said my Spook Fly(even through I had to redesign a lot on it lol) Yes if it wasn't for the Poledancer I wouldn't have done it . I made it so its 5-6 inches long,lighten it up so you can use a 8-9 wt rod versus a 10 wt all day, is starts working by the 3rd at any distance you throw by the 3rd strip and most importantly it works constantly( as seen on the video. Do you do much fly tying Darian? I see you location is in Sacramento?

Darian
09-28-2016, 03:41 PM
BenFishn,.... I don't think this is worth arguing as there're so many examples of very minor changes being made to flies of all types (including precise copies), then naming it differently in magazines and bulletin boards. If you try to remind everyone of the originators name you'd be writing all day. One recent example on this bulletin board is when I pointed out that a fly called the Airhead by the tyer was really a copy of the Charlies Airhead. It's my understanding that the original tyer of the Airhead was John Ryzanich. Of course, that didn't mean much to the poster, so, I didn't see any real reason to pursue it further. I try to give credit to the originator when available but....

cutwrk2fish,.... I've been tying since I was about 13 years old. Still have Salmon/Steelhead/Trout flies I tied in the '60's that haven't been used yet. :rolleyes: Now days I like to design new flies/tweak older patterns for fun and fishing. Plus I no longer tie any small flies; just warm water/Striper/saltwater patterns. I'm thinking about donating all of those flies I no longer use to whatever group might be willing to take them.

cutwrk2fish
09-28-2016, 05:42 PM
Darian, I know what you mean. When I'm doing tying demos I usually carry extra materials,hooks,and sometime proto type flies I've been working on so if I meet someone that's just starting out or really interested I usually just give it away if its been sitting around and I probably wont be using. I was asking about if you tied because I will be tying at kienes on Oct 15th at they're tying event and was wondering if you would be going? If you do please come by my table its always nice to meet a fellow tyer that has as much diversity and experience as you. LOL I'm just a one trick pony that ties Striper/Baitfish flies with rattles in them

Darian
09-28-2016, 09:10 PM
Good stuff. I'll be lookin' for you.

STEELIES/26c3
09-30-2016, 07:48 PM
Hate to burst anyone's bubble but Bisharat was NOT the inventor of the top-water, walk-the dog-type (spook) fly... He merely made a great one and gave it a name and marketed it...

James
10-10-2016, 04:49 AM
Actually Charlie did event the pole dancer, period.

Angel's fly are pole dancers, very nice copies, shy of the rattle.

QUOTE=STEELIES/26c3;170311]Hate to burst anyone's bubble but Bisharat was NOT the inventor of the top-water, walk-the dog-type (spook) fly... He merely made a great one and gave it a name and marketed it...[/Q

STEELIES/26c3
10-10-2016, 02:09 PM
Actually Charlie did event the pole dancer, period.[/Q
I agree
He did not invent the first foam head top water fly is all I'm saying...

Darian
10-15-2016, 06:48 PM
"Angel's fly are pole dancers, very nice copies, shy of the rattle."

James,.... Don't want to restart this again but almost all fly tyers adapt and innovate, and designs evolve over time. Angel's flies appear to be an example of this. I got a good look at his flies today and agree they're very nice but disagree that they are copies of the Pole Dancer. Angel's made modifications to the overall size and proportions of the fly, the foam/design of the head, reduced the weight of the fly, plus, he's added a rattle. Seems to me that's enough to be a variation of the Pole Dancer but not a copy. I guess that's part of the debate(??). Of course, both flies were designed to employ the "walk the dog" action of the Zara Spook Bass plug. So, in that sense they both could be seen as variations of the Zara Spook.... ;)

Probably doesn't matter much since they'll both catch fish.... :cool: