PDA

View Full Version : Apples on the T

John Sv
09-25-2016, 07:36 PM
Anyone ever eat any of the apples from the tree along the Truckee river or from the trees in the pullout by the old Boca Townsite?
I almost did Saturday...
They look like braeburns

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-25-2016, 08:28 PM
Years ago I went up to the Trinity River with Joe Shirshac. He knew were to pull over and go pick apples just off the road at abandoned homesteads along the river. Some of those apples have worms but I guess that is protein?

One Fall we were up on the Klamath River and we found that there were tons of wild small blue grapes along the river near Orleans. The last day we filled up our big ice chest with bunches of grapes.

A month or so later we went to the Trinity River. We had grape jelly on our hot cakes from those grape that Joe and his wife canned up. Really nice....

Walter
10-03-2016, 12:59 PM
One day on the lower stanislaus, I was having a day like a local told my I could at some point. You woildnt believe how many trout I landed so its not worth detailing. The local warden always told me if it was good Id catch more trout than anybody would believe. This was before I saw tons of people start showing up as magazines and internet reports made it easier and easier to overcrowd places.

Anyway, I had forgotten a lunch. I was wearing down and getting especially cranky as you all know I am prone to getting. I was wet wading and sat down on a rock. Something exploded. Wondering what nasty thing was under my ass I was surprised to discover figs and gigantic blackberries. I spent about half an hour feasting like royalty on an amazing buffet from the river itself. Ill never forget that amazing day.

johnsquires
10-03-2016, 03:00 PM
Every year I bring lots of dried fruit on the AK trips - pears, apples, strawberries, pineapple. But the blueberries for the pancakes and cocktails get picked fresh when we're up there. Once in a while you get a couple that a bear has obviously taken a leak on, but I've been told that means you'll have good luck fishing that day.

John Sv
10-03-2016, 03:23 PM
Walter- it'd be cool getting so lucky with a stream side lunch. On the Truckee one has to settle for wax currants and gooseberries, both of which are way better filed in sugar water.

Johnsquires- I was on a halibut trip out of Chicagohof island and the people we stayed with had to beat back the blueberries from the cabin path. MMMMMMMMMM

JayDubP
10-03-2016, 04:48 PM
BLACKBERRIES- near almost every N Cal river from July onward. Best cobbler or crisp there is. Secret is just like fishing-- the further you walk away from parking, the better & bigger they are.

John Sv
10-04-2016, 08:10 AM
A Trusted source from Hirschdale says he has not eaten them and believes the railroad planted them. Hmmm. will give them a try