PDA

View Full Version : We lost another fly fisher and great guy, Captain Mike McKenzie

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-25-2016, 07:22 PM
From Dan Blanton's FaceBook page:

My heart is heavy at the loss of another, long time and treasured friend - Captain Mike McKenzie AKA "Striper Mike" . Mike suffered a stroke post back surgery a week or so ago and has been in a coma since. He passed quietly at home early this morning.

Mike was a treasured friend and I am so saddened by his passing. I sense a profound personal loss.
Mike and I stood at opposite ends of the skiff when it came to things like politics and some social issues but we stood side-by-side at the center console when it came to the delta and our striped bass fishery. He worked long and hard for decades, the past two as our Striperfest conservation chair and liaison to the NCCIFFF representing Striperfest. He worked closely with other groups to further benefit striped bass and the delta.

We spoke at least twice a week about the delta, striped bass and other issues. We talked about fun stuff too. I was fortunate to have fished a few days with Mike a couple of seasons ago when he came down to the Sugar Barge with his pop-up camper, parked next to my RV and we fished from my skiff. I loved sharing my skiff with Striper Mike. We even caught a few fish. Of course he shared his boats with me too, showing me a lot of the delta I didn't know in the early years. I don't think anyone knew the delta back then better than Mike. He was the first CG Licensed delta fly fishing Captain guide I believe.
I met Mike through my website bulletin board more than 20 years ago. He just happened to run across it while browsing, realized he wasn't alone fly-fishing the delta. He contacted me and we met at Chucks Bait and Tackle at Russo's. He was fishing out of a 16-foot john boat at the time. We've been close friends ever since. Mike was at the first Striperfest 20 years ago and I don't think he missed a single event since. He will be sorely missed at the 20th Striperfest this November 5th.
He will be hugely missed by all who called him friend and loved him. RIP Striper Mike - you were a great pal and untiring friend of our beloved delta and striped bass fishery.

My sincere condolences to His wife Gwen and the family and other close friends.

Dan Blanton