PDA

View Full Version : East Walker Update

cdevine
09-19-2016, 02:26 PM
Made it over to the east walker last week for some early fall fishing. As with most fall fishing the river was quiet and peaceful. Ran into one other angler the entire day. Flows went down to 88 CFS and are about 79 as a write this. Water temps in am started at 57 and when I got off mid afternoon they got up to 64. But mornings are in the 30's now so the water temps will continue to fall. Pretty weedy in the channels so keep flies clean. I've fished the EW quite a bit the last few years and unfortunately like other waters in our state the drought has taken its toll. I am pleased to say however there are still a decent amount of healthy fish both big and small in the system. I landed a dozen or so 10-14" inch fish this trip. Most of my previous trips were a few small guys and one or 2 over 18". No big guys this time but a lot of action. I think the prime water temps had a lot to do with this. Fish were not picky. All the normal stuff works. (SJ worms, dark lords, small mayflies, midges) I even picked up a nice brown on an orange stimi that I had a rainbow warrior attached too. I was mainly using as a dry dropper rig but you never know.... I tried to throw some big meat first thing in low light but I didn't get any grabs.... Hopefully in the next few weeks that changes.1236812369

Anyway, glad to report that the river is still kicking out fun.