PDA

View Full Version : The Rogue River is good now, especially if you have a top local guide....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-17-2016, 05:57 PM
My good friend John Hogg was just up there and here is his email report:

Hi Bill,

I just got back from Oregon with Mike Howes. We had a really good guide, Jim Andras.

http://www.andrasoutfitters.com/#fish

We floated the Rogue River for two days with him out of Shady Cove, just north of Medford.

A really knowledgeable guy, and very hard worker

Second day we had 8 Steelhead hookups and landed 5.

This one was the biggest.....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-17-2016, 06:00 PM
This is wonderful.....

John and I have been on a few Steelhead trips with very little success so this is a big deal for him.

Ever so often you will hit a good Steelhead day if you keep going, especially in the Fall.

Chazbowski
09-20-2016, 11:46 AM
I spent last weekend on the Rogue River in the Medford - Shady Cove area, first time visiting and fishing. All wading and swinging - conditions were good and managed one fish on a black Hobo Spey fly.

Sierra D
09-21-2016, 08:31 AM
Nice work guys.

I will spend a couple half-days wading the Rogue 10/3-10/7. I will be staying in Ashland and can drive up to anywhere from Touvelle Park to Shady Cove. Spey and nymph capabilities will be in hand.

What would you do?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-21-2016, 08:41 AM
I spent last weekend on the Rogue River in the Medford - Shady Cove area, first time visiting and fishing. All wading and swinging - conditions were good and managed one fish on a black Hobo Spey fly.

Congratulations Chaz....

I think most of us would be very excited to hook a nice fish like that on a Spey rod.

The Rogue River is one of the best places for us Valley anglers to head for every Fall.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-21-2016, 09:35 AM
I asked middle Rogue River veteran Gordon Langenbeck about 'walk and wade' access on the middle Rogue River:

"Bill,

Lots of walk and wade places all the way from Valley of the Rogue State Park clear to Galice.

Know Al and Gary fish early mornings starting in June but I usually start swinging about the 25th of this month.

Gordon"

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-21-2016, 09:37 AM
Thanks Gordon.....

Seems like October is the big month up there for us Valley anglers to target.

Sierra D
09-21-2016, 03:14 PM
Bill, Gordon,

Thanks for the input. For some reason I have been focusing in on the upper river, from Touvelle Park upstream. Do you think downstream is a better choice?

I asked middle Rogue River veteran Gordon Langenbeck about 'walk and wade' access on the middle Rogue River:

"Bill,

Lots of walk and wade places all the way from Valley of the Rogue State Park clear to Galice.

Know Al and Gary fish early mornings starting in June but I usually start swinging about the 25th of this month.

Gordon"

Langenbeck
09-21-2016, 07:34 PM
Water temperature is the determining factor for me. From Touville Park to the Dam, the temperature is fine all year for Steelhead to hold. Below Touville the water is cool enough to hold Steelhead from about 1 Oct through late April.