PDA

View Full Version : Lower McCloud October Caddis Time....

yankeefanbob
09-17-2016, 11:18 AM
I'll be fishing the Conservancy part of the LMR the early part of October(got my tag), I've heard the October caddis hatch is pretty prolific. I am jazzed up and ready to give it my best shot!!!!

I have my larvae, pupae, and of course October Caddis dry fly patterns stocked and ready to go..... I'll be bringing my 9ft.-5wt, floating line system. I'll be utilizing: OC hopper/dropper(pupae), high stick/tight line nymphing, maybe streamers along the banks....... and of course the mighty OC dry(Morrish)!!

Any other suggestions on other patterns, techniques,etc. you'd like to offer? I'm aware of all the rules at the location.

Thanks for your input,

Bob

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-17-2016, 11:51 AM
During the Fall October Caddis time veteran Nor Cal guide Fred Gordon from Dunsmuir tell me he still just fishes #14 dark nymphs with great success.....

yankeefanbob
09-17-2016, 12:43 PM
I'll keep that info......

Thanks Bill

Bob

donkeyhunter007
09-17-2016, 03:09 PM
First thing I do on the McCloud River is whatever Fred Gordon says to do, he's the man.......He's also humble so he might not tell you this but his "Gordon's Prince" nymph does well I stock my box with sizes 14-18. I like another local pattern "the Eng thing". Any color Copper John as long as it's red. Grab few Zebra Midges....... if the nymphing slows they can save your day.
the Fat Albert is a good fly to attach a dropper.
Hope this helps, Have fun

yankeefanbob
09-17-2016, 08:31 PM
Yes, I've read an article about Mr. Gordon, he seems very knowledgeable .......thx DK007, I appreciate your input immensley.

Bob

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-17-2016, 09:22 PM
I highly advise that you hire Fred to take you out one day......

www.fredgordon.net