PDA

View Full Version : Dry fly fishing ideas from old fly fishers.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-15-2016, 09:41 PM
Top Nor Cal guide Fred Gordon fishes really light rods himself in Nor Cal streams like the Sage SPL 282, 8'2" #2 weight.

With those light, flexible rods and small diameter fly lines plus his skill level, Fred said he mostly fishes 6x on dry flies.

That said, if you have one of those new fast action 9' #5 line 4 pc rods you will need 5x to keep from breaking off the big ones.

I always fish the heaviest tippet that the fish will bite, which might be 6x or maybe 0x?

Top fly fisher Jeff Putnam told me once he never goes under 6x tippet.

I do know that on spring creeks many use 7x tippet with small flies and very light softer rods.

Veteran fly fisher Bob Giannoni once should me on the Silver Fork of the American River that in the evening he could catch trout consistently on a #10 Elk Hair Caddis if he fished it in the bumpy riffle water.

I was fishing the smoother water as the fly came out of the riffle on to the smooth water of the pool. I was using a #14 Elk Hair Caddis with 5x tippet.

On smooth water if it is tough I usually go to some #16 paradun and 6x tippet with a soft 4 weight rod and a click-n-pawl reel.

I would guess that only about 25% of fly fishers "match the hatch" on smooth moving water today.

Many are indicator fishing or steamer fishing in water with smooth surfaces.

If you are fishing a big dry like a giant salmon fly, October Caddis or Hexagenia Mayfly you might use a heavier tippet like 3x or 4x. I would use the heaviest tippet that the fish will bite so when I get that fish of a lifetime I might have a chance to land it.

In the 1970s our Cortland Line Rep, Joe Patterson, took use to central Oregon to learn how to fish those famous lakes like Crane Prairie, Hosmer, Diamond and Davis.

Down here we were fishing 6x tippet on top with #16 Callibaetis mayfly imitations on small lakes like Solano and McCumber for normal size trout up to around 16 inches.

The further north you go the bigger the Callibaetis are. In Nor Cal they are around a #16, in Oregon they can be a #14 and in BC they are a #12. I think Callibaetis mayflies get smaller by the week as the summer progresses too.

On Davis Lake in Oregon we were catching trout over 5 pounds on a Callibaetis mayfly hatch so our 6x just did not get it. We had to go to 4x tippet to hold those fish and we were using soft 5 weight glass rods and smooth Hardy reels.

Dry fly fishing with two of my good friends.

David Armocido is the best small stream dry fly fisherman I know. Fred Gordon is also a top angler and veteran guide.

One day I was so lucky to fish with them both on Stoney Creek, just north up Interstate 5 a ways and to the West. This one spring it was on fire. We all fished a small #3 weight fly rod and only dry flies.

Too bad we did not have Mikey Weir there to video us. It was a day to remember. I think we were all fishing some kind of #14 dry fly, which is the most popular average size now. All wild fish and all very hot but mostly small and mostly under 12 inches.

We all took turns casting to the top of each pool where the riffle came in. It was crazy...lots of laughter.

I have fished 100% barbless for everything sense 1975 when Bob Giannoni and Neil Bohannon both got to me.

Spring and Fall is the good day time big dry fly season.

In the summer it is more like morning and evening fishing with smaller dries.

On moving water the biggest flies are the big #4 and #6 salmon flies in the spring in the warm afternoons, next is the #8 Green Drake mayflies in the start of summer, the big #6 Hex mayflies in the mid-summer at sunset and the big #8 October Caddis in the Fall.

On stillwater you have big #6 Hex in the summer in the evening plus #6 Traveling Sedge (big caddis) late too. The #12 Siphlonurus mayfly is another cool lake mayfly, Terry Thomas educated me about that bug.

__________________________________________________ ________

I read an article about dry fly basics by a Montana guide. He said to pick up the fly off the water, turn it over and see how long or what size the under belly is and what color it is.

__________________________________________________ _________

Tippet sizes for dries?

2x-3x for big dries in low light or heavy water.#4/6

4x for big dries on smoother water. #6/8/10

5x for most dry fly fishing with #12/14/16

6x for small flies on smooth water. #14/16/18

7x for real small flies on smooth water on spring creeks.#16/18/20

Dry fly tippet length is about 18" to 4 feet depending on how spooking the fish are and the lighting conditions.

To get you tippet length right for casting you tie on a longer tippet then cast the fly and trim the tippet back until it turns over well.

Leader length for dry fly fishing can be as short as the length of your rod and as long as 15 feet on smooth water in the day time.

__________________________________________________ ____

What ideas do you have about fishing dry flies?

Sheepdog8404
09-15-2016, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the plethora of information Bill! That skinny water dry fly fishing is what I grew up on and started the obsession for me. It hold a very near and dear spot in my heart! Might have to jam up to silver fork this weekend and have a reunion.

wineslob
09-22-2016, 12:26 AM
Love the story!
Right now is my favorite time to fish either the West Branch of the Feather, Butte Creek, or any of the other small streams near my home.
Favorite rod? A 7 1/2' 3 wt. bamboo "kit" based on a T&T taper.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-22-2016, 07:30 AM
From my research a few years ago the most popular size bamboo rod sold today is a 7'6" #4 in 2 pc.

Everyone who enjoy one especially with a nice little click-n-pawl Hardy reel on it.

bigfly
09-22-2016, 10:38 AM
Years ago, a client wanted to use his gear, I always say "it's your day"......
He had a cute boo rod, and a pretty Hardy princess. He had caught a lot of fish and declined to use my gear.
A few dry drifts into the day, he hooked Walter, who immediately left for Reno......totally torqued his boo and since you can't palm the spool and the drag wasn't close to enough, he burned his thumb sticking it in the back of the reel trying to slow him.
Which he didn't.........
He went out the next day and bought a Sage XP and a Galvan reel.......which is what I offered....
Don't bring a knife to a gunfight is all I'm saying.......
Call it, a view from the T..........and an "old dry guy"......

Jim

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-22-2016, 11:36 AM
Most of these cane guys that are using the little rods are on small streams where the little wild fish run 4 7/8" to 9 3/8".

Most are not using them for deep nymphing for 'Labrador retriever' size trout on the big rivers.

It is called "dry fly fishing for dinks"......

bigfly
09-22-2016, 12:07 PM
Ya Bill, I have no problem with sneaky creek fishing. Pure romance fishing...
I get that....
It's where I started too. I have found that guys who cut their teeth on them, often show talent on big water too....

Just saying, tool for the job.....
Romance goes out the window when the big guy eats. (And that big fish was on a dry...not a nymph...)
I mentioned it because....I see this a lot.
They get used to fishing their set-up, and don't want to change...it's human nature...
I hear a forum member is building, or has built, a Boo two-two-hander....which I would love to cast.....
Wasn't being disagreeable......
Jim

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-22-2016, 12:27 PM
OK Jim...here is another story.....#29a in the 1980s?

A wife of a good friend and customer called me to order up a new #4 weight outfit for her husband because his first outfit, a beginner outfit was a 9' #6 weight and too heavy for some of his lighter fishing. She said it was his 50th birthday and price was no object.

I told her I had just got myself a new Sage 490 LL (soft tip 9'#4 in 2 pc) and a nice Orvis CFO III reel with a Cortland 444 Peach WF4F. I got it for matching the hatch on smooth water with mostly small dries.

So that is what we got for him.

Now for the rest of the story......

He went up to one of those pay to fish private waters with hatchery raised Labrador retriever size Rainbow trout. He used that outfit and when he came back he told me that the reel as not strong enough to control those big fish.

So I traded him a nice new reel with a disc drag and a rim control.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Story 29b.....

Got a call from a guy who had was in a drift boat and had hooked a really big trout and lost it because his click-n-pawl reel was not up to that much horse power. His guide told him that I was an idiot for selling him a reel with no drag....

So over the years we have learned our lesson and only sell reels with a click-n-pawl drag to customers with a note from their mothers.....

bigfly
09-22-2016, 12:41 PM
Great stories all!
Figured you knew......
As a guide, I had to give two cents...
I still have my LL......
Once a year I fish it on Sage Hen creek.
Still one of the best.

Jim

cdevine
09-23-2016, 07:17 AM
Great stories all!
Figured you knew......
As a guide, I had to give two cents...
I still have my LL......
Once a year I fish it on sage hen creek.
Still one of the best.

Jim

Ha ha... Good stuff. A word of advice. I always use guides gear even if I'm in love with my stuff. Most of the time they have the best equipment or damn near close as well. Plus you are paying for it!

Big fly.. little flurries..

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-23-2016, 08:03 AM
Ha ha... Good stuff. A word of advice. I always use guides gear even if I'm in love with my stuff. Most of the time they have the best equipment or damn near close as well. Plus you are paying for it!

Big fly.. little flurries..

That is what I recommend too.

bigfly
09-23-2016, 02:10 PM
Bill....
Your list could be made a permenent sticky, because it's good content, and will remain so.....others could add tips...
Or a tip catagory......?

As far as casting the guide's gear...
Testing rods is a little like wine tasting....
Try them all....it will make you a better taster/caster.....
As well as the likely hood their stuff fits the occasion......

And Chris.....don't start with me on weather speculation.......
What we get this winter, will be in a range from a three hundred year drought....
to a Donner winter.......
In my research....the discussion of weather has zero effect on it.........
(And I've tried....one year I thought I could shovel it all....not humanly possible...that year...but last year, I could have..)

I've learned not to invest emotional energy there.......like wanting a bike for christmas....and then not getting it....
Up here, you get 5-6 cords of wood, and either burn it, or not....
Just wax your boards, or guides, and chill.

Jim

wineslob
10-10-2016, 09:44 PM
Years ago, a client wanted to use his gear, I always say "it's your day"......
He had a cute boo rod, and a pretty Hardy princess. He had caught a lot of fish and declined to use my gear.
A few dry drifts into the day, he hooked Walter, who immediately left for Reno......totally torqued his boo and since you can't palm the spool and the drag wasn't close to enough, he burned his thumb sticking it in the back of the reel trying to slow him.
Which he didn't.........
He went out the next day and bought a Sage XP and a Galvan reel.......which is what I offered....
Don't bring a knife to a gunfight is all I'm saying.......Call it, a view from the T..........and an "old dry guy"......

Jim

That's when I switch to my early 50's W&M Granger 8642. I've landed quite a few "Pigs" and "Labs" on it :D

Mark Kranhold
10-11-2016, 06:52 AM
Love fighting trout on light sticks, it's like steelhead on a 6.

TyV
10-11-2016, 08:27 AM
Bill....
Your list could be made a permenent sticky, because it's good content, and will remain so.....others could add tips...
Or a tip catagory......?

+1

Thanks for sharing Bill! Great idea Jim. Would love to see a forum section for posts just like this. When someone who has the wealth of knowledge and experience that Bill does decides he is kind enough to share it with the community, we should be smart enough to preserve it in its own section. Maybe that will inspire others to share more as well? Hope whoever has that ability makes it happen!

Fish ON

Ty