PDA

View Full Version : Trolling motor battery. What are you using?

donkeyhunter007
09-13-2016, 08:23 PM
I need a new battery for my trolling motor (30LB) on my pontoon boat. Any ideas??

Whats the best value and how long does it last that kind of thing?

Is it possible to resurrection of old battery??? Electric charger says it is dead. I think it sat too long.

Thanks for your time

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-13-2016, 08:32 PM
If you take it to a place that has a serious charger they can sometimes get a dead batteries to come to life.

Some times people drain the batteries and wash them out and put new electrolyte in them and recharge them.

Rule #1 - Always charge your deep cycle batteries as soon as you get home from fishing.

Rule #2 - Keep them charged and full of distilled water.

Rule #3 - Disconnect them if you are not using them.

Check with Sonny's Electric in Sacramento to find out what are the best deep cycle batteries.

Baja Fly Fisher
09-15-2016, 09:10 PM
I'm using a Interstate Marine deep cycle. It last all day and that's using the high speed on the trolling motor. I have a 45 and 65lb thrust Minn Kota. Those Marine batteries are quite heavy.

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-15-2016, 10:05 PM
I got two smaller deep cycle batteries, maybe group 24, so I could carry them.

Those bigger ones, maybe group 30, are very dam heavy, especially after 70.

Interstate is a good idea because they sell them all over the United States.

JAWallace
09-15-2016, 10:12 PM
I have one start battery from Cabela's, a DC labeled Duracell, group 24, however that manufacturer makes a ton of batteries, including the Cabela's battery. These are both AGM batteries which I guess are what we should be using as they are non spill. My all time favorite is Walmart lead acid for under $100. i got eight years out of my last one!

Idadon
09-16-2016, 05:08 AM
Interstate, Durable and not to expensive. The Walmart deep cycle class 27 is a good choice too. You can buy 2-3 of those for the price of really good battery. Personally I use the interstate.

JayDubP
09-16-2016, 03:00 PM
Interstate, Durable and not to expensive. The Walmart deep cycle class 27 is a good choice too. You can buy 2-3 of those for the price of really good battery. Personally I use the interstate.

I also vote for the Interstate.... ran one on a Sea Eagle 295fp U inflatable... all day on stillwater without incident.