PDA

View Full Version : Keswick Resevoir?

Idadon
09-12-2016, 11:09 AM
Any good fishing above Keswick Dam in the fall/winter before runoff. Boat ramps? While I'm at it, is the Sac from Redding down to Red Bluff safe for a small craft with a prop? It's got a rock gaurd but the boat is a Gheenoe. Basically a very wide square stern canoe fiberglass.

Do steelhead come up as far as Redding in the winter? What about Stripers?

NCL
09-12-2016, 12:35 PM
If you do a search using the name Chip O'Brien and Keswick Dam you will come up with a couple of article that will give you all the info you need. There is an improved boat ramp on Keswick.

As to the Lower Sac being safe, it depends on your abilities, it is a swift cold river so it can be dangerous. I'm not sure I would want to do the Lower Sac in a canoe but that is me and it is floated by drift boats.

I have heard of stripers being caught in Redding. If you want to target stripers you would probably do better south of Red Bluff.
There are steelhead throughout the Lower Sac the problem is distinguishing the large rainbows from the steelhead if they are not fin clipped. Hope this helps a little.

Idadon
09-12-2016, 03:26 PM
Some good info in those articles. I'll be in the area during the low flow time of year so thinking I'll leave my boat in Idaho and wade. Keswick Dam, from the way O'Brian describes it, might be best left to the younger guys that know the area. Thanks for the lead to these articles.

NCL
09-13-2016, 06:29 AM
About ten years ago there was talk about guys doing a float on Keswick in float tubes. Then I heard that security had been tightened because of Shasta dam which blocked the access points. I never tried it in a float tube but when I had my boat I went a couple of times with no luck.

The Lower Sac is starting to drop so it will get good in few weeks for wading. When you get closer to your trip PM me and I will get you the latest conditions and some ideas where to fish. When will you be in the area?

Idadon
09-13-2016, 07:34 AM
Plan is to depart Idaho mid to late October. Visit friends in Nevada on the way and then on to Redding, so maybe first week in November. Not sure yet where we are going to set up the RV for the stay but thinking Mountain Gate RV Resort. Looking at a mobile/RV in Bend as a possibility too. That park is right on the river but not sure what the fishing is like in that stretch.

I remember the article you mentioned and thinking that it would be interesting. I'll be in touch. Thanks!!

JayDubP
09-13-2016, 04:47 PM
Lower Sac would be fine for your Ghenoe, in fact, a motor would help you get back to top of a run to drift again. (you will see drift boats with small motors doing just that).

There are not any major rapids from Redding to Red Bulff and the river is wide enough that you can slide through the sides of any fast water.

Lots of people float the Lower sac it in pontoons , inflatable kayaks & canoes. I have fished it several times in my Watermaster Kodiak and in July I saw a group of Boy Scouts in 9 canoes who said they were on a multi-day float.

Your Ghenoe (with an electric motor) would be a good boat for the Fall River & Baum Lake also.

Idadon
09-13-2016, 07:26 PM
Thanks JayDub. Looks like I'm committed to Redding this winter and was really hoping my Gheenoe would work. I think it's coming even if all I use it for is whiskey town and such.

booneshaya
09-13-2016, 08:04 PM
1st week of November I'd park the boat in Redding and hit the Trinity for steelhead. 45 min drive.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-13-2016, 08:35 PM
http://activenorcal.net/fly-fishing-keswick-reservoir/

Info by guide Chip O'Brien

Idadon
09-14-2016, 05:14 AM
A trip or trips to the Trinity is definitely on my list. Hoping to explore as far down as Willow Creek. Just have to see how my time goes. Of course there is the weather issue. Up here on the Snake the water Gurus are drawing down the big reservoirs to mud puddle size. That might mean they are expecting a bad winter and our bad weather usually comes up via Northern California. Palisades, the big feed for the South Fork is already down to 10% of pool. That usually results in very low flows over the winter and the South Fork becomes a really nice River to wade at 800cfs.

NCL
09-14-2016, 06:13 AM
Plan is to depart Idaho mid to late October. Visit friends in Nevada on the way and then on to Redding, so maybe first week in November. Not sure yet where we are going to set up the RV for the stay but thinking Mountain Gate RV Resort. Looking at a mobile/RV in Bend as a possibility too. That park is right on the river but not sure what the fishing is like in that stretch.

I remember the article you mentioned and thinking that it would be interesting. I'll be in touch. Thanks!!

If you are talking about the Bend RV park north of Red Bluff then I live about two miles away. At that time of year there are excellent wading opportunities both above and below the Bend Bridge. If you decide to do the Bend RV park I can show you several spots you can fish.

Idadon
09-14-2016, 06:40 AM
Oh No! The Bend RV Park just became MY choice. Haven't been able to get them on the phone for over a week now but my sister is going down there today to check on availability. Starting to get excited!

BumpBailey
09-14-2016, 07:43 AM

While in Nevada a nice detour would be Pyramid Lake. Get into some of them nice
big Cutts!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-14-2016, 08:13 AM
I think the Steelhead hold in that lower river in October.

Around Willow Creek and down on the Hoopa Reservation.

Jason Hartwick and Herb Burton's crew are usually down there guiding, swing flies.

http://steelheadonthespey.com/

Peter S
09-14-2016, 08:19 AM
If you are talking about the Bend RV park north of Red Bluff then I live about two miles away. At that time of year there are excellent wading opportunities both above and below the Bend Bridge. If you decide to do the Bend RV park I can show you several spots you can fish.

I moved to the Bend earlier this year. I live a few minutes away from the Bend Ferry bridge. Love it here!

Idadon
09-14-2016, 10:13 AM
Pyramid was a thought. Haven't been there since the late 80's. All I remember was wind, cold and a long day casting for one 20" cutt. Oh ya, there was that propane cannon at the hatchery going off every few minutes too. Do they still do that?

NCL
09-15-2016, 04:53 AM
Oh No! The Bend RV Park just became MY choice. Haven't been able to get them on the phone for over a week now but my sister is going down there today to check on availability. Starting to get excited!

If your sister does not get the info today let me know and I can stop by the Bend Store and ask.

The Trinity is also a possibility if you want to try for s steelhead, at that time of year I usually head toward the lower part of the river so it is about a 2 hour drive from the Bend.

Idadon
09-15-2016, 05:22 AM
My sister got my # to the manager yesterday and I had a long talk to her. Looks very promising that we can get in there. Hope so, looks like a nice quiet place. Thanks for the offer NCL! Will let you know when we head over but still looked like touchdown in the Redding area around November 1+/- a day or so.

A trip to the Trinity is a definite want to do. I'm bringing my steelhead gear along. I measured my boat/RV/tow vehicle length to see if triple towing is legal. Unfortunately my triple rig is over by a few feet, and in CA by 10+ feet. I'm going to have to figure this one out or leave the boat in Idaho.

NCL
09-15-2016, 09:40 AM
Your timing is very good, flows on the Lower Sac should be down to 6000CFS or lower which makes for great wading. There should be steelhead in the Trinity. I can not say one way or the other the quietness of the Bend RV park but I can say that overall the Bend id a very quiet place. Definitely bring your steelhead gear. If you have any questions let me know either here or by PM

JayDubP
09-15-2016, 01:08 PM
@Idahoan- PM sent.

Jim