PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a reel for bonefish and Pyramid cutts

sierraangler
09-12-2016, 08:54 AM
Wondering if someone can recommend me a reel to go with my 9' 8wt Z-axis that I could use for both bones and pyramid cutties. Is this doable with 2 different spools, 1 for each situation? I'm guessing any reel that is suitable for bones is more than sufficient for pyramid. Let me know your thoughts...thanks!

EDIT: oh and steelhead too, which I haven't done much of... is it possible?

bigfly
09-12-2016, 09:08 AM
Gavan T-8 is my pick....Haven't babied mine...10 years...haven't cleaned it....plenty of dirt....alkaline/salt/fresh.
The thing will stop a train. I'd get two spools, or install a Bimini knot...
If any issues, call them....great folks.
I'm about to drop for a T-10.....It's winter steelhead time......

Jim

JayDubP
09-12-2016, 09:18 AM
Wondering if someone can recommend me a reel to go with my 9' 8wt Z-axis that I could use for both bones and pyramid cutties. Is this doable with 2 different spools, 1 for each situation? I'm guessing any reel that is suitable for bones is more than sufficient for pyramid. Let me know your thoughts...thanks!

EDIT: oh and steelhead too, which I haven't done much of... is it possible?

Check with Kiene's to see if Waterworks-Lamson still makes "X" spools (small arbor- extra line capacity) for their reels. So, you'd have one frame and 2 different capacity spools. Lamson is sealed drag and it's price point is good. My Lamson Velocity Hard Alox II (3.5 size) is several years old and I have 3.5 spool and a 3.5X spool

DLJeff
09-12-2016, 12:30 PM
I second the Lamson recommendation. I fish the old model Lamson 3.5. The drag isn't as powerful as some other 8wt rated reels but you really don't need that much drag for bones. More important is line capacity and resistance to salt water environments. For the price, there aren't many better. If you have the cash, go with a Tibor Evergaldes.