PDA

View Full Version : 3D Printing....???

Darian
09-10-2016, 05:48 PM
A buddy just sent me an email note from a futurist making predictions about the impact of technology on our industries/lives. One of the technologies mentioned was 3D printing. It seems that 3D printing has already been used to construct buildings and in medicine for developing prosthetics to name a few items....

Software already runs our depth finders, chart plotters and communications, etc. Altho it wasn't mentioned, seems like 3D printing would be useful in the production of fishing rods/reels/lures/flies, etc. Maybe it's already been used. But, just think how a 3D printer could be used at home to make fishing lures or certain fly patterns and hooks. 3D printers are cheaper now than they used to be so it's entirely possible to develop a line of products for our own use.

But will technological advances take away from all of the things that make fishing interesting (e.g. hand crafting our own rods, developing lures, tying flies, etc.)?? Technology has made commercial/recreational fishing so much more efficient than in the past that it's probably had major negative/positive impact on our fisheries and individual species of fish, especially in saltwater. Too late o worry about that.... :cool:

Tschmitt313
10-30-2016, 07:00 PM
Im actually working in a makerspace at my community college, as well as studying to be a mechanical engineer. I don't think anyone would want to spend money investing in tying flies, however cheaper rod building aspects certainly can apply to this industry.