PDA

View Full Version : 'Fishing' for mid-October ideas

John Sv
09-09-2016, 12:32 PM
So I have a buddy coming in mid October to fish. I am lacking fishing inspiration. Need a couple of day trip ideas from Truckee. Fly or gear fishing, but needs to be fun. Hiking a few miles is fair game.

N. Yuba? Davis? The T won't produce the excitement needed. Pyramid? Hire George Molino to take us out on Pyramid? Jig for macks on Tahoe?

Last year was a total whiff. It was snowing in Truckee so we went and got skunked on the lower Yuba and then went and got skunked at Pyramid.

Two years ago was a hit with him- we hiked into the Conness lakes area one day and fished the W Walker between Pickel Meadow and 395 the other. Lots of action both days.

Thanks in advance!

cdevine
09-09-2016, 12:56 PM
John,

I'm not a pyramid person. Just too many people. I like your Conness lakes area but that time of the year can be "winter" quickly at that high of elevation. North Yuba starts to wind down now above Downiville. Water temps start dropping quickly so if you do go I would do it lower river where the browns could be. Hard to beat the west walker for scenery and solitude. Hike a little and you are all alone. I wouldn't discount the BIG T in your backyard. I mean forget the little T at 29CFS but Fall can be great for browns on the Big T. Lower Sac is a drive but egg bite will be hot and its almost a guaranteed 20 fish day if you have a good guide.

EricO
09-09-2016, 01:25 PM
Hey John,

I would head north. Hit the Lower Sac like Cdevine suggested....or if you want to walk n wade,
I'd hit the Upper Sac and the Pit. They both should be fishing very well in Fall. Pit is
guaranteed. I always make a Fall trip there.

Eric

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-09-2016, 06:54 PM
Stripers in the Delta.

Steelhead from Nor Cal to BC.

Trout in larger streams - Upper Sac, McCloud, Pit.....

Trout in lakes - Davis lake is hard to beat.

Salmon in the tide water of short coastal river is starting.

October is so fine.......not too hot and not too cold.

John Sv
09-09-2016, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the ideas fellas. Trying to keep it to day trips from Truck-town so we can have halibut on the grill and then go out on the town.
Davis in the canoe might be the ticket! Action on the T will be too slow- my buddy is used to ropin' them on the Provo and doesn't have a "truckee kind of attention span".

I wonder if they still rent boats on Echo that time of year.
Ps drove to Squaw for Guitar Strings and Chicken Wings. Above Truckee it is as low as last year-ylkes!!!
PPS is the Carson too low for stockers? That can be fast action...

cdevine
09-10-2016, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the ideas fellas. Trying to keep it to day trips from Truck-town so we can have halibut on the grill and then go out on the town.
Davis in the canoe might be the ticket! Action on the T will be too slow- my buddy is used to ropin' them on the Provo and doesn't have a "truckee kind of attention span".

I wonder if they still rent boats on Echo that time of year.
Ps drove to Squaw for Guitar Strings and Chicken Wings. Above Truckee it is as low as last year-ylkes!!!
PPS is the Carson too low for stockers? That can be fast action...

Love that truckee attention span comment. So depressing with the flows going down. Even in canyon only in 200's now. I hope to never hear the words volunteer fish rescue plans again due to water issues. Please rain and snow in 2017!! Truckee can't take another drought. (Or maybe I can't)

The east carson is fishing well john. Flows are low but fishable and it can be really fun for planters on a 4wt or even 3wt for that matter. I would try and go on a weekday and in October it will be all yours. I was up there with my son not that long ago and at dusk it was game on with anything that floats. Some interesting characters in that part of the woods because you get some "see how big my stringer is" but its a nice water that is close to you.

matthaias
09-16-2016, 11:25 AM
Pyramid Lake during witching hours, or chase truck trout on the EC off hwy 4

John Sv
10-12-2016, 11:52 AM
Bumpily bump... With the weather, whatcha think? I was thinking E Carson stockers and Heena. Yes, No?

cdevine
10-12-2016, 01:24 PM
Bumpily bump... With the weather, whatcha think? I was thinking E Carson stockers and Heena. Yes, No?

Yeah the storm looks pretty legit on the rain side especially in the north state. This is great for lakes and reservoirs. Above 9k we should see some legit wet snow. Looks like the high alpine fishing season is over.

Couple people I know have fished E Carson and its been fun. There are lots of fish and flows are good. Water has been clear. I drove by the other day on way to eastern sierra. It looked great. But if it rains a lot I would double check that area due to high risk of mud slides.

Heenan has been solid.

John Sv
10-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Nice. That's our plan then! Thanks
JS