PDA

View Full Version : Should I use my dad's 70s era Fenwick fiberglass rod?

MG Mason
09-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Hi Everyone,

My dad gave me his Fenwick Fiberglass fly rod. It's an 8 1/2 foot 5/6 weight. It says "FF84" on the rod. I've looked it up online and there's not a ton of info. I'd like to fish it at least a few times. I'm thinking I would want to put a modern 5 weight line on it rather than a six since lines are made today for the much faster rods.

I don't think it has a lot of collector's value so it wouldn't be a bad thing to use it, right?

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts or ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

Marc

k9mark
09-09-2016, 10:59 AM
Take a look at this once: http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1134 I would fish my Dad's rod. Hope the thread provides you info

John Sv
09-09-2016, 11:42 AM
I fish my Dad's Fenwick glass rods. I seem to like two line sizes below the old Fenwick recommendation, because lines have gotten heavy. I think I use a rio gold 4 on the rod you are talking about but a 5 would prob be fine.
Those rods are fun- love 'em for creekin'. I also have a big old FF108 that casts a 250 grain line nicely and is fun to get a fish on, but I think men were tougher back in the 60s and 70s, because my shoulder is done in an hour.

willies99
09-09-2016, 12:32 PM
Marc,

I would consider putting a running line on it and trying it with an intermediate head for lakes and maybe one a little sinkier for shad (hold on tight and whip them quick).

Dan

Baja Fly Fisher
09-09-2016, 01:03 PM
Hey Marc,

I have the same rod and I fish it for small bass, blue gill and even carp. I'm throwing a 5 wt line and have a TFO NXT Large Arbor reel on it. The reel is light weight and very inexpensive. I also have a bunch of other Fenwick glass rods.

Darian
09-09-2016, 03:40 PM
I have two Fenwick rods remaining, both bought in the '70's. I wouldn't hesitate to use either one of them when lined correctly. If your rod has been stored correctly, it should perform very well.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-09-2016, 06:51 PM
I sold and used all those old Fenwick glass rods in the 1970s.

Still have an FF805 and a FF85 naturally in 2 piece.

I would put a new WF5F on it with a Pflueger Medalist or Hardy Lightweight fly reel.

JAWallace
09-09-2016, 08:58 PM
The classic Fenwicks are far better than the new Fenglass rods. I have had several, but have found the FF756, FF806 and FF807 are fabulous rods, workhorses, and great fun. I got an 8lb. striper in the A this year on the FF807 and that was.....interesting. They are very light (8 ft. and under) and honestly those rods get more use than some of my Steffens. For either side of $100 you cannot beat them if you like glass and slower action rods. I have a dozen Medalist reels that are so fun to restore and use and they run under $50. Just don't use one with a fish that puts you into backing---ask Andy Guibord about his knuckles after getting smacked with the handle while horsing a big striper!

I've found that DT lines or long belly WF lines are the best choices for most glass rods. I use the SA Expert Distance lines on several and they love that line. Wulff Triangle Tapers are great for glass too, especially in the lighter weights. For sinking lines, A Teeny T-130 is almost universal for smaller rods--the T-200 for 6-9 wts.

hwchubb
09-10-2016, 09:31 AM
I'll echo the others. I have an FF857-5 ((5 piece pack rod) that I've got paired up with a Medalist 1495 and a Rio Gold 6 wt, great shad and summer steelhead rod. Going a line weight lighter made a big difference, as newer lines do seem to have gotten heavier.

And I also agree that the new Fenglass rods are FAR below the old ones...

JAWallace
09-10-2016, 10:29 AM
Going a line weight lighter made a big difference, as newer lines do seem to have gotten heavier.

I have given up on using manufacturers' stated line weights, and just weigh them in grams and convert to grains. Rio especially can vary 20-30 grains per line for the identical lines. Thinking and using in grains simplifies the testing process and lets us hone down to the best fit for each rod, in my experience.

MG Mason
09-11-2016, 08:26 AM
Thanks for all the feedback! I've got an Echo Ion 5/6 reel I can put on it. Wish I had an older Medalist to use. I'll go with a 5 weight modern line. Using it for summer steelhead and shad sounds like a lot of fun. I'm excited to try it out!

Ned Morris
09-22-2016, 12:24 PM
Yes you should use these rods. I just gave my 6 year old son my Grandfather's FF60 D code Glowstick from the early 60's paired up with a Heddon 320 Hardy knock off. Works just the same as it did 50 years ago and so fun with Bluegill and Trout. The action cannot be matched by Graphite. I still use my Dad's FF85 I code occasionally for Steelhead when in the mood along with a Thompson 100 Reel. People look at me funny sometimes including my friends. Yes it's worth some money but I know if they were alive they would prefer that I use them. Just like vintage cars, you can either let it sit in your garage or drive it and have fun.

OceanSunfish
09-23-2016, 09:28 PM
The classic Fenwicks are far better than the new Fenglass rods. I have had several, but have found the FF756, FF806 and FF807 are fabulous rods, workhorses, and great fun. I got an 8lb. striper in the A this year on the FF807 and that was.....interesting. They are very light (8 ft. and under) and honestly those rods get more use than some of my Steffens. For either side of $100 you cannot beat them if you like glass and slower action rods. I have a dozen Medalist reels that are so fun to restore and use and they run under $50. Just don't use one with a fish that puts you into backing---ask Andy Guibord about his knuckles after getting smacked with the handle while horsing a big striper!

I've found that DT lines or long belly WF lines are the best choices for most glass rods. I use the SA Expert Distance lines on several and they love that line. Wulff Triangle Tapers are great for glass too, especially in the lighter weights. For sinking lines, A Teeny T-130 is almost universal for smaller rods--the T-200 for 6-9 wts.

I love the Fenwick FF806. I recently used a Rio Gold WF6 and all was good. Fun to cast and watch that line move through the air......