PDA

View Full Version : Lower Klamth River is good for Half-pounder Steelhead

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Terry Thomas has had good reports from top jet boat guide Allan Borges.

I think Terry might be headed up there soon......

He heard salmon were shut off though.....

Terry Thomas
09-10-2016, 04:20 PM
They have arrived. Water temps down to the mid sixtys. Fog a good part of this morning and more cooling forcast tomorrow.

Rockman
09-11-2016, 08:05 AM
I am camping at the Klamath for a family re-union. Lots of fish moving thru right now. Cooling water temps have the fish moving, not holding in the deep pools. I have all gear fisherman in the boat,so no chance at fly fishing yet��. Hopefully that will change tomorrow as some are leaving now and less demand for two boats. Hope to get up above Blue creek to swing for chrome. The family barbecued a nice chrome 8 lb hatchery steelhead and beer battered some nice surf Perch for dinner last night.

Life is good on the Klamath��

Rockman
09-13-2016, 09:33 AM
The mouth at the Klamath is almost completely closed shut. Water is backing up in the estuary. Minimum fish in the lower section. I jetted up 1/2 mile above Blue creek and graphed very few fish. Many guides camp at Panther Creek RV, none as in zero, caught fish yesterday.

We are heading out for some sightseeing today, and leaving back to Shasta for some fall trout fishing.

If you want to fish the Klamath, I would work the mid river now. Water temps are dropping and I will try again on the upper K in a week or two.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-13-2016, 09:40 AM
I guess we need some rain.....

Should be fish up around Orleans now.

Andy
09-13-2016, 10:24 AM
I guess we need some rain.....

Should be fish up around Orleans now.

I agree they should be in Orleans but last weekend was a bust, as in zero...

Jeff F
09-13-2016, 12:50 PM
I agree they should be in Orleans but last weekend was a bust, as in zero...

Let's not panic, everyone. When people say "they" (meaning the fish) should be here or there in the river, that is somewhat misleading. It's not like there are 1000's of steelhead all coming up-river in one large school at the same time like a school of sardines or anchovies. Yes, there are pushes of fish, but a lot of these reports make it seem like they all come in together and if you're not in the right spot at a certain time, you'll miss 'em. These fish will slowly come in in waves. Yes, you may need to move around to get into numbers, but this time of year, there will be fish spread out from Happy Camp to The Glen. Some days you just don't catch fish. That's steelheading......

Eric O. and I are heading up to Orleans for 4 days next week. We'll be floating the mid-river and covering lots of water. So hopefully I'll have a good report for everyone upon our return.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-13-2016, 10:13 PM
Last Saturday, September 10, 2016, Terry Thomas and Dave Mathews, two veteran Steelheaders, had one of their best days on the Lower Klamath River. Around 30 Half-pounders and 7 adults to about 7 pounds.....all in one run, not far from the ocean.

Then Sunday they could not find the fish.......

JayDubP
09-16-2016, 02:17 PM
Last Saturday, September 10, 2016, Terry Thomas and Dave Mathews, two veteran Steelheaders, had one of their best days on the Lower Klamath River. Around 30 Half-pounders and 7 adults to about 7 pounds.....all in one run, not far from the ocean.

Then Sunday they could not find the fish.......

I remember an article some years ago that stated Steelhead can move 7 miles upriver a day (anyone know if the 7 miles is correct?) . So the fish you find at the bottom of a run in the pm might be at the top of the run at first light, but will be long gone by the next night.

That is why covering the maximum water is the key to success. You can cover about 5- 7 miles a day floating on the Klamath...