PDA

View Full Version : Silver Fork & SFA

kyburz
09-05-2016, 11:30 AM
Camping at China Flat campground tomorrow . Anyone have a recent report?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-05-2016, 01:05 PM
With this cooler weather it could be good.

Morning and especially evening dry fly fishing is usually good with your favorite size 14 attractor dry flies on 5x tippet.

If they don't like that try #16 dry and 6x tippet?

Elk Hair Caddis, Humpy, Royal Wulff, Irresistible, Stimulator.........

In the day time try the originated riffles with indo - nymph technique.

I remember that black is a good color for nymphs up there.

Try a size #14 black bead bead head nymph on 4x tippet.

Try two different nymphs.....

Snagged_a_Branch
09-06-2016, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the tip Bill- may venture that way soon myself.
With this cooler weather it could be good.

Morning and especially evening dry fly fishing is usually good with your favorite size 14 attractor dry flies on 5x tippet.

If they don't like that try #16 dry and 6x tippet?

Elk Hair Caddis, Humpy, Royal Wulff, Irresistible, Stimulator.........

In the day time try the originated riffles with indo - nymph technique.

I remember that black is a good color for nymphs up there.

Try a size #14 black bead bead head nymph on 4x tippet.

Try two different nymphs.....

kyburz
09-08-2016, 01:45 PM
Leave the 5x in the vest. Skinny water that needs 6x. Only consistent luck was up the road at Caples Creek trail head. #14 Elk Hair Caddies does the trick. False rises only to my ol standby the yellow Humpy. Most spots are "1 and done" cuz they're spooky but come back 15 min later and all's cool again.

jlmelend
09-15-2016, 07:58 PM
Leave the 5x in the vest. Skinny water that needs 6x. Only consistent luck was up the road at caples creek trailhead. #14 elk hair caddies does the trick. False rises only to my ol standby the yellow humpy. Most spots are "1 and done" cuz they're spooky but come back 15 min later and alls cool again.

Quick update about the Silver Fork. Just got back from a days camping China flat. I wanted to camp at Silver Fork CG but it is now closed until next year. Had a great two days fishing just dries. Lots of PED and PMD hatches. No fish over 10-11 inches, but got about 20 rises on a #16 Olive PED imitation and just under a dozen to hand. I was catching fish throughout the day, but got the most hits during low light. AM temp was 45 degrees, highs about 68-70. Didn't check the water temp. It wasn't lights out and most of the fish were dinks and planters, but it was fun to catch them on dries with a 3 weight. Kyburz is spot on. I used 6x and should have used 7x. Water is skinny, cold and gin clear. Met a gear guy who was using power bait and lures who caught a 12 incher in the riffles.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12349&d=1473992392

Morgan
09-15-2016, 08:39 PM
And droppers will get them a lot of the time.