PDA

View Full Version : Sage dominated the top end salt water fly rod market.......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-04-2016, 09:24 PM
..................for the past 20 years.

First was the RPLX Series that started it all.

Next was the RPLXi which came in 2 pc and 3 pc and a few 5 pc rods.

Along came Xi2 which came in 2 pc and 4 pc.

Many liked the Xi3 which came in 2 pc and 4 pc and were light and cast very accurately.

Now we have the SALT that come in 2 pc and 4 pc and are still the big dog when people are going on serious salt water trips and want the best.

Carl Blackledge
09-05-2016, 06:51 PM
Bill,

I always thought the loomis was the best casting rod with effortless pin point accuracy for my casting stroke, however the Sage played the fish a lot better and I could land them faster with the Sage...that's just my 2 cents

Carl

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-05-2016, 09:11 PM
For a long time Sage was dominant in the high end fly rod market place because they were first sold only in select well run fly shops.

G.Loomis got their start by being in business with Cabelas which basically put them at a disadvantage with the specialty fly shops.

Today the high end rods have priced (~$800) themselves out of the market and mid priced (~$300) import rods have caught up to the technology and seem to be the big deal now.

I think Sage, Scott, Orvis, Winston, G.Loomis and Thomas & Thomas still make the best fly rods but the price is putting off their sales.

Sage is still number one in high end.