View Full Version : Old video of our famous Fall River with Bob Quigley

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-28-2016, 10:28 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN6ikhD_2Ms

Bob was a good friend to many.....

steveg137
08-28-2016, 11:06 AM
Thanks bill .
Not been up all season, need to try trip in September.

Jeff Putnam
08-31-2016, 03:40 PM
I was lucky enough to meet Bob when I was 11 years old at Ricks Lodge on the Fall River while I was visiting with friends that knew him. He was at the tying vise and told us to meet him on the water at the dock in about 20 mins. We walked over the river and stood there while nothing was happening... about 5 mins later Bob shows up and the fish began rising. Bob was trying out some new patterns that he just tied. I'll never forget him making the first cast to a rising trout. The fish looked at the fly followed it for several feet then refused it. Bob didn't even make another cast but instead he brought his fly in cut it off and tied on a new one. He made another cast and as soon as it landed on the water we witnessed an 18 inch trout inhale it. I thought to myself... WOW!!! Second cast... this guy is pretty good. Then Bob, like a PHD Professor, hooked 4 more fish on consecutive casts. After releasing the 4th fish he said "looks like that one works", then brought in his fly and cut it off and was done. He instantly became my fly fishing idol. He sent us over to Hat creek Power House 2 with a new flying ant pattern he had just developed. Needless to say we caught fish on the surface when they weren't even rising! Now I was convinced that this man was a fishing GOD! Since then I have fished his patterns and even tied variations of his bugs with huge success over the last 33 years. No one that I know has developed flies for spring creeks and the most technical trout on the planet like Bob Quigley did. His cripples and paraloop style mayflies are some of the most effective bugs still available today... and if you can get lucky enough to use his emerging caddis cripple you just might see how good he was at designing flies when other anglers ask you... "What are you using? I've been here for a while and haven't even had a grab".
Bob, you and your incredible talent are extremely missed and thank you immensely for what you have shared with me and others. I hope those fish always rise for you in heaven -JP

steveg137
08-31-2016, 11:18 PM
Great film and story Jeff.
Love to read about icons like Bob.
As Jeff indicated he's the type of angler that makes you realize your believe that "they're not in the mood today " really means they "don't like the look of your stuff".

left field
09-01-2016, 03:35 AM
Nice to see his genuine enthusiasm after so many fish.

Bill, click the little filmstrip icon and paste in the youtube url. Then watch the magic happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN6ikhD_2Ms

TroutBurd
09-06-2016, 03:11 PM
I'm not sure that "87 is "old."