PDA

View Full Version : What is up on the LT?

cdevine
08-27-2016, 09:39 AM
Just curious why the flows dropped so low the last couple weeks. I want to say around 30 CFS now. Personally I haven't fished it since the winter. Shame on me because it was flowing strong early in the summer but I just want to know if anybody knows why so low especially when the big T is pumping out 450 below boca? Holding back in Stampede? One week its 300+ and now its 30? How about keeping it at 100-150 rather than the on and off again.

But it goes without saying I would strongly encourage you to look elsewhere at 30CFS especially when the BIGT is firing in the canyon down into NV.

Anyway I'm about done with the high elevation lakes. Suppose to be in the 30's for the mornings in the next couple of weeks with some lows going into the 25-29 range. Water temps don't seem to be much of an issue. Readings I've been getting on Truckee are in the high 50's to low 60's. EW going to about 65 mid day but that will come down.

Morgan
08-27-2016, 04:08 PM
We can all agree w/ ya there on the bs flows on the LT.
Makes absolutely no sense why it should be at 347 for a few weeks...then 30 a couple weeks later...in the hottest part of the summer. The educated, well informed and ethical fishers will leave the fish alone at those flows. Those fishing for them are clueless and probably wont catch much.

Lets hope for another winter that is atleast average again. It was nice having water this summer.

John Sv
08-27-2016, 05:50 PM
I think they were running it high(er) longer to drop the reservoir faster than usual. Now the res is lowered so they stopped flows. Res was lowered so they can start making the dam taller.

http://www.usbr.gov/newsroom/newsrelease/detail.cfm?RecordID=55607

Personally I am bummed that they are paving the road from Russel Valley to Logger CG. The dirt in the middle sure kept traffic down.

cdevine
08-27-2016, 06:18 PM
I think they were running it high(er) longer to drop the reservoir faster than usual. Now the res is lowered so they stopped flows. Res was lowered so they can start making the dam taller.

http://www.usbr.gov/newsroom/newsrelease/detail.cfm?RecordID=55607

Personally I am bummed that they are paving the road from Russel Valley to Logger CG. The dirt in the middle sure kept traffic down.

It was awesome having water this summer. I forgot what an "average" year was like after 4 pathetic ones. Getting knocked on your rear trying to cross the river, fishing the edges because the flows were roaring, and actually losing fish because they bust you off in the current.

But yeah the LT mystery bugs. Stay off the water and let those fish rest. Especially with the browns spawning in a couple months.