PDA

View Full Version : Kayaker's

Baja Fly Fisher
08-21-2016, 03:47 PM
For those of you who have kayaks and use them a lot, I have a question.
What do you prefer, sit on top or sit inside. I know it's a personal preference but give me you opinion
I figure sit on top you fall off into the water, correct. If you sit inside, you drown :-( not correct.
So how the heck do you get out if you tip over. I need to try one out in my pool

Jay

JAWallace
08-21-2016, 09:13 PM
That's why you should be able to do an Eskimo Roll if you have a sit inside. I had to stop at Class II because I cannot do it--I've dislocated one shoulder about 100 times, won't get surgery, and without that skill it just isn't safe in fast moving water. In still water you just reach around and push the stern away from you and you'll pop out. Sit on tops are really the only reasonable kayak craft for fishing IMO, and they are MUCH more stable. I was fishing on stillwater and off Salt Point from sea kayaks before it was cool to kayak and saw virtually no one else doing it. It was fun, but then you hook your fly on the carry loop and you have to cut the line, retie, and playing a fish can be quite a thrill too without the paddle to balance you, especially in the ocean. I would not consider a sit in for fly fishing with any regularity, but others do.

Jake B
08-21-2016, 11:04 PM
Most definitely go with a sit on top. Much safer than a sik. I fly fish off mine as well as dive for abalone in it. If you want to learn about how to upright a sik go to a YouTube channel. Very informative. I just got rid of my Eskimo sik due to injury as well and wouldn't be able to right myself. I have flopped my sit on top on a surf launch spearfishing and had no problem flopping it over, and didn't have to worry about heading back to shore to drain it. Pm me if you would like to try a sit on top out I have a spare and would gladly loan it. Either choice as you know you should always have pfd on. Jake

Scott V
08-22-2016, 02:34 PM
I fly fish from my kayak a lot and prefer a sit on top. Sit inside has too many issues with fly fishing.

Fly Right
08-25-2016, 11:43 AM
For those of you who have kayaks and use them a lot, I have a question.
What do you prefer, sit on top or sit inside. I know it's a personal preference but give me you opinion
I figure sit on top you fall off into the water, correct. If you sit inside, you drown :-( not correct.
So how the heck do you get out if you tip over. I need to try one out in my pool

Jay

If kayak fishing is the reason you are thinking about a yak sit on top (SOT) is the way to go. Somewhat slower than a sit in however a lot more stable and utilitarian. Many yak manufactures make fishing SOT's that can be customized to fit the needs of any fisher. Comfort, casting room, access to gear and accessorizing are all benefits that most sit in's cannot match.
With regard to safety SOT's are easier to right side and re-enter if you turtle which is not likely. They are also a lot more stable because of increased width and hull design. If you are just looking to paddle demo many styles and makes of boats to determine the best one for your needs. I would suggest that with a fishing yak as well.

good luck

grnwtrs
08-25-2016, 02:01 PM
I have and used a Klepper (kayak)for many years, as its a fold-up, and fits in three bags for transport.
It is not the best fishing vessel, but for space considerations, goes well with smaller vehicles.

I have capsized twice and lost a bunch of gear, once on the Trinity, and once one the Smith. I'am a slow
learner. Never learned the Eskimo roll that is used to save oneself on regular small kayaks. I did try!

Then I went with a belly boat for several years. Best all-around, and cheap to keep.

Finally, I switched to a 12" garbage skow that I carry on a trailer on top of my truck.
That was thanks to a Eide loader from Brinkman's Marine in Vallejo.
That was thanks to Bob Brinkman .

Been with this set up for over 20 years, and find it best works for my style.

See what works for you.

Best Regards, gene

njbeast
08-29-2016, 08:46 AM
I have a sit in and have spin fished in it for years on lakes without any problems. I have tried flyfishing in it but not very successful. For rivers and flyfishing I have a Dave Scadden North Fork Outlaw Challenger. I float the Klamath in it and flyfishing is great. Very comfortable and stable.

JayDubP
08-30-2016, 09:41 AM
Great answers! It boils down to 3 points:

1) Get the craft that is designed for the type of fishing and the type of water.
2) You need more than one boat -- different boat for each different use.
3) You need to convince your spouse you need several boats.... good luck on that!