PDA

View Full Version : Pram for sale......

Baja Fly Fisher
08-21-2016, 02:45 PM
It's finally happening! After all these years, I'm finally selling my pram. I've had 5 prams over the years, 4 TPL and the Columbia pram. Since I sold my truck I have no way of transporting my pram. Plus the weight of it is just getting to much for me to handle.

It's a circa 1971 Columbia Tri Hull 8' pram and has a lot of accessories with it. This pram is old but still floats and has no leaks. I spent many years fishing the Smith and Chetco for salmon back in the 70;s and 80's, spent a lot of time fishing Pyramid Lake, Lake Tahoe, Martis Lake, Davis Lake, etc. Spent many seasons fishing Hat Creek, Fall River, Baum Lake, Manzanita, Trinity Lake and even floated down the Sacramento one time. Since the first week I bought the pram, I spent many hours on San Luis and the O'Neill Forebay casting to stripers and large mouth bass. Also fished Los Banos Creek Reservoir. One of my best memories fishing out of the pram is many weekends spent on the San Lorenzo River in Santa Cruz casting to steel head and salmon. Just recently, I have been fishing the local waters here is Fresno. Places like Eastman Lake, Hensley, and Millerton.
But time has come to find something that is lighter to transport and easier to carry.

I'm thinking about a Water Strider boat or a kayak. But I'm having second thoughts about the kayak's stability. The weight of the Water Strider is 35 pounds and it takes 4 minutes to pump up with a K-Pump. Dave Inks (some of you may know him) who lives in Montana sells the Water Strider. He actually designed the boat.

As for the kayak, before I buy one, I want to try one out to see how stable they are. I heard Ocean Kayaks are pretty good. I've been looking at a couple at the Sportsman Warehouse. The only draw back I see is that when "mother nature" calls, you have too go all the way back to the shoreline.

Anyway, here's what comes with the pram:

Minn Kota 46lb thrust trolling motor, Interstate Marine Battery (Brand new, never been hooked up yet), Honda 2hp 4 stroke motor (2009 model), new fire extinguisher, 10lb mushroom anchor, oars, Buddy fish finder, new battery charger and I think I have a few other items.

Registered until the end of 2018

Selling the package for $1,150.00. Pram is located in Fresno

Interested send me an email jaysflies@me.com or PM

Thanks

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-21-2016, 03:12 PM
I did not see a length anywhere?

Honda 2hp 4 stroke outboards are about $1,000 new.....nice motor.

Sounds like a bargain for all that stuff....

Baja Fly Fisher
08-21-2016, 03:44 PM
I just inserted the length....8'

The Honda dealer said that the motor new was around $1,100. He said he would buy it but only give me $200.00- what a joke.

JAWallace
08-21-2016, 07:10 PM
The other option is to get a Harbor Freight trailer and keep it.

I'm not a big fan of kayaks because they too tend to be heavy, and you don't have the control you do with fins. Look at the Outcast Commander or if you're not going to drift any gnarly rivers, I love my 13 lb. Scadden Predator. They are both about $1000. The Commander will paddle much better than the frameless pontoons though. I will probably add one of those to the inflatable fleet someone soon.

That's an awfully nice pram, Jay. They're just heavy. I know Bill and I sure enjoyed his Columbia 12' skiff. If you want to sell the motor, you will get between $500-$600 for it easily.

DLJeff
08-21-2016, 09:35 PM
I'm thinking about a Water Strider boat or a kayak. But I'm having second thoughts about the kayak's stability.

Look into the Future Beach Voyager 124 Angler:
http://futurebeach.com/en/products/kayaks/fishing-kayaks/voyager-124-si-angler.html

Guarantee you can cover more water in a wider variety of weather conditions in a kayak than you can in any inflatable, especially one you have to kick. The kayak will track easier, keep you and gear drier, and is more durable. For about 20% the cost. Plus, if you just want to go for a paddle, the kayak works better for that as well.

Tony P
08-21-2016, 10:11 PM
Oh come on, all those years of you telling me how you wanted to get a real boat so you could fish the Delta & bigger lakes & now you're talking about getting an inner-tube. I think it's time for Karen to get you a real boat then she can go along with you. :cool:

Baja Fly Fisher
08-22-2016, 09:01 AM
Caryn would never go fishing with me. When we had a boat in Salinas, she went one time with me up to Naci and she was shocked how fast we were going. And we weren't even full speed. Eric and Kristen loved it. That was the last time she went. I use to take go a lot in the bay when the salmon were running. Once in the morning and then after work. Had limits both times. Do you remember the time we took Andy Burk on the Delta. It was so cold but dinner was a great at the steak house. Andy had many coffee's with Baileys. Do you also remember the hotel and the brown trout and the plumber :-) Those were good times
What you been up to?

Jay

Baja Fly Fisher
08-22-2016, 09:03 AM
I looked at a kayak at REI yesterday. Still not convinced that a sit on top would be the best thing. Although it would be best for my knees to keep them mobile

Jay

Baja Fly Fisher
08-22-2016, 10:10 AM
I would want a trailer with 14" tires, minimum. I use to have a custom made trailer that had storage boxes, etc. and could carry 4 prams. I got rid of it, why - I don't know.

DLJeff
08-22-2016, 03:29 PM
I looked at a kayak at REI yesterday. Still not convinced that a sit on top would be the best thing. Although it would be best for my knees to keep them mobile

Jay

Like most things it's a trade off. A sit on top is easier to get in and out of, but you will be wetter. So they work well for warm water flats and people who plan to get into and out of the kayak frequently. The sit inside will keep you drier, is more stable (because your center of gravity is closer to the surface of the water) but it's harder to get into and out of. A sit inside also tend to track better (less work paddling because your kayak goes straighter, less side to side wandering).

Baja Fly Fisher
08-22-2016, 03:56 PM
Thanks Doug, just what I needed. But with my bad knees trying to get in and out could be a problem.
I was just looking at one of those Harbour Freight trailers that was mentioned a few posts up. I've read some reviews and the people seemed to like them. I looked at the flat bed ones and thought about putting two 2"x4" for a track and then some eye bolts
to hook the straps on to. Then I saw the boat trailer. I might be a little long for my 8' pram. Damn, now i'm not sure what I want... Sell the pram, buy a flat bed trailer of the boat trailer. I'm sure my jeep grand cherokee could tow that. What's the regulations on a license. If you can see the tail lights on the car then a license isn't needed. I'm not sure

DLJeff
08-22-2016, 07:39 PM
Well Jay,
That's probably a good dilemma to have because you win any way you go. Nice thing about a little flat bed trailer is you can use it for a lot of things especially if you don't have a pick up truck. Can't help you with trailer license requirements, sorry. Be well my friend.

Tony P
08-22-2016, 10:17 PM
Caryn would never go fishing with me. When we had a boat in Salinas, she went one time with me up to Naci and she was shocked how fast we were going. And we weren't even full speed. Eric and Kristen loved it. That was the last time she went. I use to take go a lot in the bay when the salmon were running. Once in the morning and then after work. Had limits both times. Do you remember the time we took Andy Burk on the Delta. It was so cold but dinner was a great at the steak house. Andy had many coffee's with Baileys. Do you also remember the hotel and the brown trout and the plumber :-) Those were good times
What you been up to?

Jay

Boy we had a lot of good times like fishing San Luis in 110 degree heat, full moon, in the middle of the day, catching teener after teener, & not drinking any water because we were to busy catching fish. Boy we paid for that after words, I don't know how long we sat in Casa De Fruita trying to rehydrate. That trip with Andy on the Delta was one to remember, I don't think I've ever laughed that much on a fishing trip especially when we running back to the ramp in the freezing cold & the live well popped open & soaked you & Andy. By the way do you have any idea where Andy is & how to get in touch with him? Last I heard he was chasing gemstones in the mountains. As for me I think I told you I left Baker 4 years ago & have been taking care of mom. Deb & I are getting ready to ship Sierra of to college & Sage is a sophomore. Haven't been fishing enough but we did rent a house on Almanor over the 4th of July for a week & the Smallmouth fishing was off the hook. Right now I'm looking around for a new occupation, I'm not going back into the trucking industry! We need to get together for an adventure. Let me know when & where & I'll see what I can do.

Tony

Baja Fly Fisher
08-22-2016, 11:13 PM
I remember that day, HOG ISLAND... It was a race in the morning to claim the spot. Then as the sun rose on the horizon you could see the hogs coming down the hill to drink. Those were the good days and those days are long gone now. I don't think it will ever be like that again. Yep, that's the last I heard of Andy. He was some where in the mountains doing his thing. Oh yeah, do you remember the time we went to King's Beach for the Conclave and spent the weekend in the cabin. Andy was tying size 24 Hunch Back Infrequens with a very dim light and also drunk. And mountain man Hanley camping on the deck outside the sliding door. Was that also the time that we went to a restaurant and these gals were having a bachlorette party and drinking ?????? What the heck were they call. Deb new the name and that's when Andy joined in there party. Boy, I couldn't do that nowadays.
Any way, I can't believe Sierra is off to college. Where is she going? Sage a sophomore. I hope he won't be like you and cut school to go hunting and fishing :-). I knew you left Baker. I thought you were working in Monterey somewhere.
Well, next year if there's water in Naci and it's not filled with silt from the fire, I want to try white bass fishing again or maybe some spotted bass or carp. The delta would be another good place.
Next time i'm in Monterey, which could be soon, I'll give you a call. Send me your number via email...jaysflies@me.com

Jay

markz
08-24-2016, 12:50 PM
Hi Jay,
I have a Harbor Freight 4 X 8 foldup trailer with 12" wheels to transport my 10" portabote. I put 2 X 4 bunks which extend about 16" over the edge. But, you still need to lift one end of the boat onto the bunks then pull up the rest. I do this for my portabote which weighs 60lbs. I'd rather lower the trailer into the water and have a winch to pull the boat on the trailer.

If you buy one, make sure you get the certificate of origin or manufacturer since you need this to register at DMV. When fully assembled drive the trailer to DMV and get registered. The only hitch with directions is the wiring. The instructions say to ground the lights to the frame-This doesn't work. Run a separate wire from the light to the ground wire.

I found sit on top kayaks a little tipsy. I have a tandem Aire kayak(inflatable) which I find more stable but my butt gets sore after a few hours of sitting. There are inflatable Hobie kayaks (They are 35 lbs). Any plastic sit on top kayak is at least 50lbs-too heavy for me to move around. You can put stabilizers on a kayak-I have not tried this.

There are different floating devices to fish. You need to decide where you want to fish-lake, delta-do I need to paddle long distances.

Good luck
Mark

Baja Fly Fisher
08-25-2016, 04:48 AM
Mark

thanks for the information. It sounds like the 12" wheels will be OK. I have been thinking about this trailer a lot. I would like to back it into the water to launch but when it comes time to load it, I would need a winch. I was also thinking about install 2"x4" bunks on a angle so the pram wouldn't sit flat of the trailer. Still working on the concept of the trailer. Thanks for the information about the registration.

Baja Fly Fisher
09-01-2016, 02:16 PM
Here's a photo of my antique Columbia pram circa 1971. It weighs 58lbs. But now I'm going to buy a harbour freight trailer to haul it around. I figure my fat body isn't made for a kayak or a rubber raft. Plus the 2hp Honda makes this scoot along the forebay and millerton.
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae72/jaysflies1/image0_zps9l4okzo6.png (http://s959.photobucket.com/user/jaysflies1/media/image0_zps9l4okzo6.png.html)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-01-2016, 02:30 PM
That is a wonderful pram....I had several of them. Most all f us around Kiene's have had a pram like this or a Valco aluminum.

If you have never had a pram this will change your out look on fly fishing lakes and smooth rivers.

I would buy it in a heart beat but I am 71......

Jay, the Super Cat is the best.....I think it is 35# with back packing straps.

http://www.supercat.us/

Rowing / oar kit sucks....

DLJeff
09-01-2016, 04:27 PM
Nice. If I owned that I'd install me a swivel seat with a folding back rest. My buddy put them in his 19 foot aluminum Grumman canoe and they made it so much more comfortable to float and fish from.

Baja Fly Fisher
09-01-2016, 09:21 PM
Bill,
I also had 3 TPL prams and a homemade knock off from a TPL template. At one point, I was going to try and acquire 7 prams, one for each day of the week. I use to pack this on top of my jeep grand Cherokee that had boat racks. Now I can barely lift it and it only weighs 58lbs. I just saw a 2.3 hp honda 4 stroke at the Sportsman's Warehouse for $995.00. Boy they sure are pretty when there brand new. It was an air cooled engine. The one I have is water cooled.. I'm going to purchase a Harbour Freight trailer that I can haul my pram with. I want to be able to back it into the water.
Does anyone know if the bearings will with stand the water. Are the tail lights submersible without shorting out

Baja Fly Fisher
09-01-2016, 09:23 PM
Doug,
I don't want to get to comfortable out there. I might fall asleep. I have fallen asleep a few times in the pram but laying on the wood bench seat. I can't wait until the middle of Oct so i can hit the forebay for bass and stripers, maybe a few big carp.

DLJeff
09-02-2016, 08:33 AM
I might fall asleep. I have fallen asleep a few times in the pram

That'd pretty much suck. Go on a falling tide, fall asleep, and wake up out in the Farallons surrounded by giant great whites.

fishngy
09-02-2016, 11:41 AM
I have a harbor freight boat trailer for my 12' aluminum. I just unplug the lights when I launch and re plug the after I have secured my boat. This gives the lights time to drain any water out of them. Have not had any problems with my trailer.

Baja Fly Fisher
09-02-2016, 04:24 PM
I'm going to buy a trailer from Harbour Freight but trying to figure out how i'm going to put all those parts in the back of my Jeep. Does the 4' bed come as one section. I think it said it comes in two boxes for shipping.. I knew I shouldn't of traded my truck in for the Camry. I plan on putting a plywood deck and then build some racks with 2"x4" and use indoor outdoor carpet to cover them. Just gotta figure out how to mount them at a 45 degree angle. Maybe cut a couple blocks at that angle
Gotta get this done soon, going to start fishing the Forebay in October.

grnwtrs
09-02-2016, 04:50 PM
In an earlier post, a comment was made about trailer lites and wheel bearings. Somewhere I recollect that
on the trailer, a trailers bearings cover can be replaced with a product called "bearing buddies". They come in various
sized to match the axle. Might want to check the web for installation.

As for the (hot) lites blowing when exposed to (cold) water upon launch, usually he plug can be pulled from the tow
vehicle upon arrival at the launch site, then "rig" the boat before backing down to the water . There is usually
enough time for the lites to cool and not blow. Your mileage may vary.

Sounds like you have a great plan, and pram. I have always wanted one, starting with the "Lil Drifter", but time
and other choices have made that impossible now.

Have fun, and keep up with the good work,

Regards, gene