PDA

View Full Version : Flies for Alaska Silvers

Carl Blackledge
08-14-2016, 11:30 AM
Anybody heading up to Alaska to fish for Silvers?

Carl Blackledge

johnsquires
08-16-2016, 05:20 PM
I'm heading up on the 29th. Floating the Copper first for rainbows, then over to float the Koktuli for several species, including silvers. Ending up on the Mulchatna, where we will be fishing exclusively for silvers. Counting the hours.

johnsquires
08-16-2016, 05:41 PM
As far as flies, popsicle, showgirl, starlight leech, purple MOE egg-sucking leech, and other bright patterns. Wogs for top-water action.

lee s.
08-20-2016, 11:56 AM
Sounds like a grand trip John. With you and Joe it has GOTTA be grand!
....lee s.

johnsquires
08-21-2016, 04:29 PM
Thanks, Lee.
The last time I fished the copper was about 30 years ago, so I'm looking forward to that.
And the Koktuli -- well, you know, the Koktuli is just special.
We'll probably tell a few stories about you. And the guys are going to be hard pressed to catch as many rainbows as you did last year.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-21-2016, 05:23 PM
See what The Fly Shop in Redding sells online for Silvers.

Every where you go it can be slightly different.

Egg sucking buggers or egg sucking leeches work.

They would be in purple or black chrystal flash chenille with a plastic or glass egg.

Some rivers in Alaska they like a flashy fly that looks like a wild winged Steelhead fly.

We use hot pink or chartreuse spun and clipped deer hair "polliwogs" for on top in smooth water in the AM or PM or overcast.

Some of your top water salt water stuff in smaller sizes might work too.

Lots of steelhead and salmon flies work.....

johnsquires
08-21-2016, 05:58 PM
Another great resource is Alaska Fly Fishing Goods. www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com. Brad is very helpful.

johnsquires
08-21-2016, 06:02 PM
https://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com/alaskan-fish/coho-salmon-silver-salmon

John Sv
08-21-2016, 08:59 PM
I went in here in June. We were up for a halibut trip but had great luck on the flies they recommended for beach dollies. Cool shop.

Another great resource is Alaska Fly Fishing Goods. www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com. Brad is very helpful.