PDA

View Full Version : We never stop learning.......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-13-2016, 11:49 AM
You never stop learning until you think you know it all or you think you know more than most.

Some of the best fly fishers I have met where always wanting to learn something new.

That is why they are the best and will never stop learning.

I ask a lot of "dumb" questions to people who know more than I do about a particular type of fishing. That is how I learn....

When I get with a guide, in my shop, on the phone or in their boat, I ask them a series of questions.

What time of year is this fishing good?

What type of tackle do you use? Rod size, type of fly lines, type and size of leaders and sizes and type of flies?

After being out with some of the best guides in Nor Cal I can help outfit my customers with the right equipment and help them go at the right time of year.

I highly recommend going with some of the top guides because you will learn a lot of good techniques.

The best guides are always good teachers too.

I can help you with when to fish where for 12 month of the year. I only go during the prime time......

Call me or email me if you need any help.

Rocksteady1
08-13-2016, 02:21 PM
I concur with that sentiment. I've been guided four times. Each time I learned a huge amount a specific type of fishing. I try and be very selective about what type of fishing I'll get guided on and what type of guide. If there is a new technique I want to learn about I usually will go try it on my own a couple times and then get guided on it. Works wonders in growing your knowledge quickly.

STEELIES/26c3
08-13-2016, 03:43 PM
I consider myself a well rounded and well versed angler but I never let my ego keep me from asking questions or learning...

Sometimes, I get great info and ideas from novices. Sometimes, those of us who know too much, get stuck in a rut of doing what is familiar or what has worked so well for us in the past.

Along comes the novice who doesn't know any better or who has no experience to fall back on nor to taint his opinion of what will or will not work... Alas, he does something unorthodox and ends up catching all the fish...

Everyone calls it 'beginner's luck'.

When a veteran does it, it's called 'thinking outside the box'

Hahaha~ fishing and humans are funny...

johnsquires
08-13-2016, 07:16 PM
I often have much better fly fishers than I am on my trips and I always learn something from them (Lee S. comes immediately to mind, Mike McGuire, also). Sometimes it swings the other way and clients may learn something about wilderness fishing and camping from me.
I love this topic that Bill brought up because I feel very few of us have reached perfection in this sport and almost all of us have much more to learn and it's the guys who want to help that I admire.