View Full Version : Traditional Eastern Trout Opener on the Beaverkill River

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-13-2016, 08:50 AM
Roscoe 8th graders help usher in trout season

Apr 5, 2016

By Autumn Schanil - staff writer

Image 1 of 5 | View All

By: AUTUMN SCHANIL | DEMOCRAT

Rick Miller and Dick Smith, waded into the Willowemoc Creek for the first cast.

ROSCOE - Known far and wide as “Trout Town USA” and “Fly Fishing Capital of the East

Roscoe is home to the legendary Junction Pool, where the Beaverkill River and the Willowemoc Creek meet.

It's said that Junction Pool possesses strange and “mystifying” currents causing migrating trout to linger for days or weeks, deciding which stream to follow, bearing the legend of the “two-headed trout.”

It is in these waters that hundreds of avid fishermen have been coming together for the past 60-70 years to celebrate the official Opening Day of fishing season, April 1.

This past Friday, locals, tourists and the entire eighth grade class of Roscoe Central School gathered on the banks of the Willowemoc Creek, bright and early, to watch the first cast by expert fly fishermen Rick Miller and Dick Smith.

Both Smith and Miller are renowned fly fishing guides with decades of experience and expertise fishing in the Beaverkill, Willowemoc and Delaware Rivers.

“I want to introduce two legends, who will grace us with the first cast,” said Phil Eggleton, who “grew up on the banks of the Willowemoc River” in Roscoe and is also a certified guide.

Before wading into the river, Miller took a moment to thank the eighth grade class for coming out to witness the event for their first time.

“These kids are the future of Roscoe, the future of fishing. The next generation to carry on the knowledge and tradition,” said Miller.

Both Miller and Smith, then waded into the knee deep water to perform the first fly cast, with all those present watching from the banks.

Once the cast was made, several others began wading into both rivers, as well as Junction Pool, to throw out their lines, whether rod and reel or fly rod.

Many of the students from Roscoe Central School had also come prepared with fishing rods, sharing the experience of throwing out their lines in hopes of catching a big fish or the mythical two-headed trout, with their friends and classmates.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-13-2016, 08:51 AM
A friend who grew up back East in this area sent me this article about the great traditions of the trout stream opener back there.

alcimedor
08-21-2016, 04:56 PM
I grew up back east and had the good fortune to be chosen from my scout troop at age 11 to go to the State owned outdoors education Camp DeBruce, which had several hundred acres on the Willowemoc. We were taught safe shooting, trapping, and introduced to fly tying and fishing by Roy Steenrod,( a student of Theodore Gordon), and Harry Darbee. I had only fly fished for panfish with flies we tied and sold. One day Harry took us out to the stream and pointed to a little current dropping between 2 small rocks. From 40' away he said he would put his dry fly 8" above the little drop, and the the fly would submerge as it dropped over, then would pop up and a trout would grab it immediately. He then did it, the trout did it, and I was amazed to be shown a whole new level of expertise I had never imagined. I can still picture that cast. We did an electro-shock survey of part of the stream and found trout as big as 6 lbs. A great experience in a beautiful place that lead to a lifetime of interest in fly fishing.

left field
08-23-2016, 04:50 AM
I fish the Catskills as I now live in NYC. My favourite stop in Roscoe is Dette's fly shop - the oldest family-run fly shop in the country.

Walter Dette's obituary: http://www.nytimes.com/1994/04/03/obituaries/walt-dette-86-gifted-fly-tier-in-catskills-who-shared-the-art.html

John Sv
08-23-2016, 12:52 PM
I grew up back east and had the good fortune to be chosen from my scout troop at age 11 to go to the State owned outdoors education Camp DeBruce, which had several hundred acres on the Willowemoc. We were taught safe shooting, trapping, and introduced to fly tying and fishing by Roy Steenrod,( a student of Theodore Gordon), and Harry Darbee. I had only fly fished for panfish with flies we tied and sold. One day Harry took us out to the stream and pointed to a little current dropping between 2 small rocks. From 40' away he said he would put his dry fly 8" above the little drop, and the the fly would submerge as it dropped over, then would pop up and a trout would grab it immediately. He then did it, the trout did it, and I was amazed to be shown a whole new level of expertise I had never imagined. I can still picture that cast. We did an electro-shock survey of part of the stream and found trout as big as 6 lbs. A great experience in a beautiful place that lead to a lifetime of interest in fly fishing.

Cool story-thanks for sharing!