PDA

View Full Version : Andy Guibord's American River striper report

Andrew Guibord
08-12-2016, 09:27 AM
It is August, one of my favorite times to pursue a striper now that the shad are gone. There are not the numbers of stripes in the river at this time; ware as in May and June we were landing 15 to 20 fish, I and my clients are now averaging 5 to 8 fish. My client this last Sunday landed one between 12 and 14 pounds. My last 5 times out, there was at least one large striper hooked up and lost. Either it broke off, or such as the case this last Tuesday- about a twenty pounder was easily coming in tired but the hook shockingly pulled out.
The water has colored up and that is great since the large fish will make more mistakes. You should use flies with a good amount of flash, though that is not always the current answer. Go out there and give it a try. You might hook only one fish but it might be the largest striper of your life. I am booking trips through this month if you want to float the American- you might get skunked or you might find your backing screaming off your reel. Tight lines.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-15-2016, 06:55 AM
Many are to the point that a chance at one larger fish rather than a dozen dinks sounds good.