PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Island updating.......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-10-2016, 09:35 PM
I have not been in years so I was wondering what is your favorite month is to go there?

What about tides?

mems
08-11-2016, 12:47 PM
Hey Bill, I just went last April and we got lucky with good weather. Maybe others will chime in but I know they had a lot of rain the weeks before our group. One week got cancelled and one group had to stay two weeks cause they couldn't land the plane. I know Mike Henessey had a group cancelled in January. With global warming there are more storms on the equator so you run the risk of rain. Here in Hawaii our wet season is from nov-dec usually with a drying out in january. You can talk to flywater travel or any other outfit that goes there and they might give you a better idea on an optimal weather period.
The first time we went there was june with a group from Hawaii. We were the only American group there and thought we would have the place to ourselves. Wrong, a bunch of Aussies were there and they hammered the flats and drank all of the beer on the island. We were the only lodge with beer and they would end up on the beach at our bar in the morning hung over. It is a popular destination world wide.
I read what Dan said about nep tides and agree that is a better choice for bones on the flats. More time to fish. Some like to target the full moon to target the bones at Paris flat that want to spawn. You will see big schools and can catch the occasional fish, but they have something other than food on their minds. Full moons also have more big GT's who want to eat the bones.
I like to fish the back country areas like Poland flats and for that you need a high tide in the morning and then an incoming tide to get the golden trevally to feed. You also get good shots at GT's on the prowl back there.
Offshore is more seasonal. Mahi in the winter, but they tend to be farther offshore. Ono in the spring, with sails and some ahi and ahi most of the year but gone during the fall. Bottom fish are always around on the reef. I think going to CI depends on what you want to target and I know some really like the milkfish now. I have seen them there in numbers every time I have gone there. As long as the weather cooperates you should have good time. I have also had fun during rain squalls and have caught fish then as well. My favorite thing to do there is set up on a flat with a slight channel and be there on an incoming tide. You can just catch bonefish after bonefish. I really enjoy that experience. Hope this helps, Mems.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-11-2016, 02:44 PM
Thanks Don...

I know that everyone needs to go there at least once.

I think it also makes a good choice for your first saltwater flats trip.

We went for years but then started chasing other species like Baby Tarpon and Peacock Bass.

I think we are going to start an annual hosted trip out of the shop again.

What do you know about the different locations now?

I heard besides the run down Captain Cook Hotel there are 3 other choices now.

Christmas Island Outfitters, The Villages and the Ikari House.

mems
08-11-2016, 04:03 PM
I stay at Shark's place, crystal beach. I think that is Christmas Island Outfitters now. Biita and I are good friends now and I know most of the guides. They have AC so that helps. The food is kinda sad, but they were out of supplies last time, so we brought them food. It is a nice location and has a beautiful beach, and is out of town. Ikari house had Moana as the head guide , but he passed away. I think Simon is running things there now. They are in town and close to town. I think they have better boats, center console for bluewater. I don't know much about the villages or Capt Cook hotel. There are some small time operations at people's houses, but I am not sure how well a job they do. I think if you can spot fish and they take you to the flats you will have a good time. You should bring your own bread and luncheon meat for sandwiches and I bring spices, blackened redfish mix for blackened sashimi. I wish they would let me do the cooking. Lots of great seafood there, they just need some lemon and limes and tempura mix. I hope you guys have a good time, I love the place. Don.

Tony Buzolich
08-11-2016, 04:24 PM
Jim May and I went at the end of January and first of February and part of our group was one of the guys that had to stay over. We even heard about it in Honolulu when we stayed over the night before leaving. The road going to the Korean Wreck was closed because of flooding then too.

Christmas Island Outfitters has a nice lodge but Don is right about the food. Some of our guys had been here before and brought an ice chest full of lunch meat and bread for sandwich's from Hawaii and just checked it as luggage. GREAT IDEA

Dinners were always good starting with trays and trays of fresh ahi sashimi and fried breadfruit before the actual dinners. Meals were simple except for the last night luau with whole roasted pig and platters of fresh lobster etc.

Right about a little more seasoning on things Don. I liked the coconut bread they made every day.
Tony

Baja Fly Fisher
08-11-2016, 06:58 PM
Christmas Island... was there in March.

Prior to that, I fished CI back in the mid 80's, staying at Captain Cooks, wasn't a very good place at the time and from what I've heard it's still the same...So bad that they are closing down later this year or early next year. No business, just from what I heard from a few people. From what I understand, Sharks Place is working on the older original buildings and hoping to get more people into the lodge.

Yes, the food wasn't the greatest. The sashimi and fried breadfruit was pretty good. If you got to the table late, you didn't get any sashimi. We were the only fishermen there and it seemed quiet, just how I like it.

Since I was the host, I met with Biita every night to make arrangements for the next day's fishing. All the guides were friendly and pretty knowledgeable. I got to know Michael real well. As a matter of fact, his father use to own the lodge and when he died, his "wicked step mother" took over. When I talked about our trip to CI and Crystal Beach to other people they asked me if the "wicked step mother" was there. I guess we really didn't miss anything.

My favorite area was Paris Flats 1,2 and 3. I saw a lot of bones, had many shots and hooked quite a few. I also hooked one just over the drop off. I was bringing the fly up to the top of the ledge and this big bone came up and inhaled the fly and took off. It broke me off.

Next year, when I go back, I'm taking supplies on Spam, Nori and rice from Honolulu. I'm going to have the cooks make me up a bunch on musubi for my lunch. I'm also taking some PB&J to make sandwiches. The last night feast was pretty good. I stuffed my self with roast pig and rice.

I was booked for the first two weeks in April but some how my name wasn't put in the books so they filled both weeks with big groups. Like Mems and Tony, I'm going back next year maybe a couple times.

I'm also doing New Zealand and fishing Waiheke Island, located north of Auckland, fishing for yellow tail, skip jack, snappers, etc.

Then it's on to baja for my "farewell to baja" hosted trips but also going to CI and Aitutaka. Wish I could go to Aitutaka this year but I'm booked out for other things and the money tree in my back yard is dying due to the drought :-)

Oh yeah, it rained everyday the week before we got there, rained a couple times at night ( quite hard ) and one time while we were out there. The group who came in after us, got stranded an extra week there at CI. Boy what a shame. Why couldn't that of been us. I guess a cyclone tore apart the airport in Fiji. I mean we also had about a 12 hour delay in Honolulu. Our plane had engine problems in CI.

So a word to all of you who are traveling to any destinations... PURCHASE TRIP INSURANCE... I buy mine from Global Rescue. Another good company is AIG.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-11-2016, 09:26 PM
Thanks Jay, Tony and Don,

Do you get both trip cancellation insurance and medical evacuation insurance?

I usually just get medical evacuation insurance.

Use to be around $150.00 usd per year?

Tony Buzolich
08-12-2016, 07:25 AM
I got both. That little island is out in the middle of no where with only one flight a week in or out. Global Rescue I wouldn't even consider being without. The medical there is totally minimal. The clinic did take care of some stitches a guy needed on Jay's trip from handling a Surgeon fish the wrong way, but if there was anything major they have to call Tarawa for a doctor's advice. Mosquitoes are another issue I had concern about. There is the risk of dengue fever listed on the CDC as being in the Kiribati islands, but it's also in Hawaii too.

One of the reasons that I chose to stay at the Crystal Beach Lodge was for the constant breeze coming right off the ocean. We did NOT have a mosquito problem at all.

One other concern was the water. Because of the low elevation on the island the wells are very shallow before they draw in saltwater. The fresh water floats on top of the saltwater and has to be skimmed off before being put into the water tanks and then used for washing only. We were told NOT to drink the tap water. (try taking a shower without getting water in your mouth or eyes). Definitely get a Hepatitis shot before you go.

Am I a germaphobe ? No, I just want to stay healthy as long as I can. Would I go back again? You bet,,,,In a heartbeat !

mems
08-12-2016, 11:09 AM
Trip Insurance. I use DAN. Divers Assistance Network, or something like that. I get medical and trip insurance same time. It was pretty cheap, less than Global Rescue. That is a great company with a great reputation. You don't want to get hurt on one of these trips. My friends tend to drink a little too much, and have bad habits like shark fishing at night drunk. I just have a shot maybe a couple of beers, cigar and then hit the hay. I know how bad surgeon fish can cut you. I know most of the fish that are dangerous, but you never know with hooks and gaffs and coral. Shit happens so it is good to be prepared. If you drink the water then a lot of shit is going to happen. Bottled water is the way to go, but you still get a mild case just from the meals they serve. It is a fun place and there are sharks, but no were as dangerous as Palmyra. Just use common sense, bring some crazy glue, baby powder and some duct tape and lots of sunscreen and you should be fine. I know Bill will have a great time, Don
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/mems15/157_zpsugqzbiv9.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/mems15/media/157_zpsugqzbiv9.jpg.html)
Lots of these guys to make you happy.

Baja Fly Fisher
08-12-2016, 04:25 PM
I get both trip cancellation and medical insurance. It's cheap compared to what you stand to lose if your trip has or is cancelled.
Just asked the group who got stuck at the airport in Honolulu the week after we returned. I hear only one person had purchased trip insurance, the 11 other people learned a good lesson. Don't buy the one offered when you purchase your ticket, they don't offer anything. Just read the fine print. I've already purchased both trip and med insurance for our New Zealand trip.

What's the saying - "Never leave home without it"

Darian
08-12-2016, 04:41 PM
All of this talk of medical/travel insurance reminded me that at remote island locations there's very little direct telephone communications. When the party I went with (Jay hosted) we rented a satellite telephone. In the end we didn't need it but I sure felt a lot better having it coupled with Global Rescue around for potential major medical issues. Altho I intended to rent it myself, Jay convinced the rest of our party to share the cost which, IMO, wasn't too high to begin with.